Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unidentified Coin-30mm wide and about 3mm thick-Bronze (?)-DONE  (Read 549 times)

Offline Adam D2

• Legionary
Recently, when purchasing two greek coins, the seller sent me an extra coin as a 'gift'. I have no idea what it is or where it is from. It gives me the impression of being Roman, but I have no idea. Both obverse and reverse appear to be busts, and they have lettering around them, however,  I cannot read the wording nor make out the faces. It is fairly heavy, but I have not weighed it. It is 30mm across and about 3mm thick. I'm assuming it is bronze, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated, as I am lost. If any of the pictures are blurry don't hesitate to point it out and I'll try to take better ones, possibly out in the sun.

Offline Peter G5

• Consul
Re: Unidentified Coin-30mm wide and about 3mm thick-Bronze (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:00 am »
Dear Adam,

something like this:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=161723 or

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=365402

SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Antioch. Æ 29mm (17.33 g). Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust left/right / ANTIOXEΩN MHTPO KOΛΩN, Δ-E and S C across fields, Turreted, veiled and draped bust of Tyche of Antioch right; ram above

Offline Adam D2

• Legionary
Re: Unidentified Coin-30mm wide and about 3mm thick-Bronze (?)
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 02:24:53 am »
That does appear to be it. Thank you very much!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity