Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Latest photos of Palmyra theatre  (Read 2514 times)

bakkar

Latest photos of Palmyra theatre
« on: March 06, 2017, 12:10:08 pm »
The destruction in Palmyra theatre . The latest photos two days ago.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: Latest photos of Palmyra theatre
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:13:55 am »
A crying shame and a crime that deprives future generations.

At least most of what is in the photos appears to be still standing.

Offline Allan D2

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 04:20:17 pm »
This just breaks my heart, and it serves as a reminder of all that we're lost.

I'm an archaeologist, and I've lost several colleagues to this brutality.
Though there are many unsung heroes who have done their best and given all they could (sometimes even their lives) to try and preserve the past for future generations. I hope their work (much like Palmyra) will be remembered.

All the best,
ABD
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:40:57 pm »
We've all seen the videos of them destroying temples and other religious structures, but what was there about a theater that made them decide they "had" to destroy it?

Trying to apply some logic here, to the actions of a group that has no concept of logic, reason, humanity, etc., etc......

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:49 pm »
We've all seen the videos of them destroying temples and other religious structures, but what was there about a theater that made them decide they "had" to destroy it?

Archaeological tourism is big business. In the case of future Palmyra possibly the only potential tourism business for the foreseeable future.

Therefore destroy the theatre and any and all other archaeological remains and you debase if not destroy the economic future and potential of the region .... that is the ISIS philosophy, indeed ideology in action...... return the economy and with it the society of the region to to the seventh century, the time of Muhammad, if not the stone age. Remember these people aren't builders, they are cancerous destroyers and destruction is at the core of their ideology.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Allan D2

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 10:00:04 pm »
Well, I was trying to avoid religion / politics here, but I wholeheartedly echo n.igma's sentiments in this case.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 11:00:09 pm »
Archaeological tourism is big business. In the case of future Palmyra possibly the only potential tourism business for the foreseeable future.

Therefore destroy the theatre and any and all other archaeological remains and you debase if not destroy the economic future and potential of the region .... that is the ISIS philosophy, indeed ideology in action...... return the economy and with it the society of the region to to the seventh century, the time of Muhammad, if not the stone age. Remember these people aren't builders, they are cancerous destroyers and destruction is as the core of their ideology.

I think this nails it on the head. ISIL (for I will never refer to them by the name of a goddess) will not tolerate anything outside of their own limited education and ideal. and that is fine within the confines of their own area (wherever that actually is). but to destroy the legacy of entire world in the process is just plain wicked.

sadly,
~ Peter

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 01:32:12 am »
What A SHAME

bakkar

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 01:11:36 pm »
An image from recent CNN report.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »

Therefore destroy the theatre and any and all other archaeological remains and you debase if not destroy the economic future and potential of the region .... that is the ISIS philosophy, indeed ideology in action...... return the economy and with it the society of the region to to the seventh century, the time of Muhammad, if not the stone age. Remember these people aren't builders, they are cancerous destroyers and destruction is at the core of their ideology.

Exactly.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 04:35:43 pm »
The Wahhabis have been destroying shrines and old buildings ever since they started in Saudi Arabia; this seems to be an extension of that. It's almost an extreme version of iconoclasm; something might (conceivably, at least in their minds) become an object of worship, so they destroy it just in case.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Allan D2

• Legionary
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 06:05:28 pm »
This would be one of very few times that I would actually want a "trigger warning". (the other would be for cruelty to dogs)

That image enrages and saddens me more than I could ever express.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity