Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Austrian or Italian?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Austrian or Italian?
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:31:12 pm »
I recently purchased the following coin:

Meinhard II (1274-1306)
Obv: MEINARDVS - Short cross pattee over long cross pattee in saltier
Rev: +COMES TIROC - Eagle facing, head left, with wings spread.

Biaggi 1186, CNA 5

The dealer attributed it to Italy, Merano, and called it an AR Grosso Tirolino.  I have found the same coin attributed to Austria, Tyrol, Meran mint, and they called it an AR Zwainziger.  I understand that Meran is near the Austrian/Italian border, and at this time was actually part of the HRC, but what is the correct attribution of this coin?  Also, I've seen two regnal dates for Meinhard II, 1274-1306 and 1271-1295.

Thanks in advance,
Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Austrian or Italian?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 04:53:19 pm »
Tirol came to Italy not before 1919. It was always German in language and culture. Mostly it belonged to Bavaria. In the times of Meinhard II it was an autonomous state. The Zwainziger was the first German Grossus (big coin) made of silver.

I think it would be scientifically more correct to call the mints, cities and states states as they were called at the time when the coin was minted. But I have already read as mint of coin for Constantine I. Istanbul! Horrible!

Best regards

Offline BIRDSOFPREY

• Praetorian
  • Roll Tide Roll
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »
Hello,

Your coin is a tirolino minted after 1270 at the mint in Merano.  Originally minted by Meinhard II as Count of Tyrol, this type continued immobilized until 1363.  It was valued at 20 pfennig, causing it to also be called a zwainziger.  I would say that this coin is definitely in the Austrian/German orbit. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
David

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 05:16:12 pm »
Thank you both, the name of Tyrol is clear in the legend, so I should have assumed Austria.  But I think what threw me off is that Biaggi is a book on Italian medieval coins.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 01:50:05 am »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity