Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Persian Daric in Carradice  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Derek A

• Auxiliary
Persian Daric in Carradice
« on: March 04, 2017, 11:14:53 am »
Hi

I have one Daric and am trying to better identify its period of issue.  It seems like the only publication that may do this (open to other ideas please) is "Carradice. I. Coinage and Administration in the Athenian and Persian Empires. British Archaeological Reports 343. Oxford. 1987. The Ninth Oxford Symposium on Coinage and Monetary History, BAR 343, Oxford, 1987, pp. 73-95."

From internet searches the coin would appear to be Type III that covers (via http://www.coinproject.com/search_emperor.php?emp=Carradice-Type-III&region=PERSIA&city=Achaemenid-Empire&type=12):
Darius I, 521-486 BC
Xerxes, 486-465 BC
Artaxerxes I, 465-425 BC
Darius II, 424-405 BC
Artaxerxes II, 405-359 BC
Cyrus, 401 BC
Artaxerxes III, 359-338 BC

I should like place it in a subgroup (A/B or C?) which I presume narrows it down within the various rulers.

Can anyone help please?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Persian Daric in Carradice
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 11:48:28 am »
See Siglos (click the blue text) it might help.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Derek A

• Auxiliary
Re: Persian Daric in Carradice
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 04:09:56 pm »
Thanks for the guidance on Siglos.  I didn't realise they had the same basis of attribution as Darics!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity