Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rare Vespasian Didrachm From Rome  (Read 1116 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Rare Vespasian Didrachm From Rome
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:53:15 pm »
My latest acquisition is a Vespasian didrachm struck in Rome for Cappadocia. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-135320

The Roman struck pieces are much rare than those struck in Cappadocia! Style and the six o'clock die axis distinguish these from the locally produced coins.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Re: Rare Vespasian Didrachm From Rome
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:59:52 pm »
Hi David,

Interesting coin and background.

Was it a routine practice for the Rome mint to top up supply to provinces of local coinage? Or did it occur infrequently and by exception. Does it signal anything significant - e.g. the prosperity of the local province and demand for its coinage or is it as mundane as a mint not facing production issues.

Peter

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 12:50:25 am »
Nice one and interesting story, but what let you know that it is minted in Rome not in Caesarea besides the difference in the die axis? Did any literature exist? I also collect coinage of Cappadocia/Caesarea so it would interesting me. I use primarly Sydenham as reference until now.

Christian

Personally, I find the 'Rome' style a dead give away. More scientifically, Butcher and Ponting have observed that the Rome-style Caesarean coins are compositionally very similar to the contemporaneous denarii struck at Rome.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:58:38 am »
Was it a routine practice for the Rome mint to top up supply to provinces of local coinage? Or did it occur infrequently and by exception. Does it signal anything significant - e.g. the prosperity of the local province and demand for its coinage or is it as mundane as a mint not facing production issues.

During the Flavian era it was quite common for Rome to strike coins for the provinces. Not only that, but other major mints also produced coins for shipment abroad, i.g. - Alexandria for Syria, Syria for Cyprus and so on. There most likely was a chief imperial supervisor who coordinated all this, but the reasons as to why are lost to us.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:53 am »

During the Flavian era it was quite common for Rome to strike coins for the provinces. Not only that, but other major mints also produced coins for shipment abroad, i.g. - Alexandria for Syria, Syria for Cyprus and so on. There most likely was a chief imperial supervisor who coordinated all this, but the reasons as to why are lost to us.

Thanks David.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity