Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sharpening Images - blurriness when viewing through browser  (Read 2039 times)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Sharpening Images - blurriness when viewing through browser
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:45:26 pm »
Hi,

My photos are naturally crisp using a digital camera (non SLR).

However when displayed on a website, or simply opened from my computer using any internet browser (e.g. chrome, internet explorer, safari), the images become slightly blurry.

I've noticed it for some time and never done anything about it and it is somewhat frustrating.

If intending to share photos on the internet, do you think the photos should be sharpened (e.g. unsharp mask in photoshop / gimp)?

I do not notice the same issue to the same extent with photos which major auction houses / dealers use. The blurriness is not as apparent. Is it common practice for people to sharpen their photos after taking them?

Interested to see if anyone else has noticed this effect and whether it impacts your decision to sharpen your photos or not.

I have attached an example.
View it on FORVM.
Then save it on your computer. Open it in your browser to see it full-size. (don't click the image below, the pop up image is more than 100% of its actual size).
Then open it on your computer in a program that is not your browser and you should notice that it is much sharper.
Not my best photo. But it's a photo which has just enough sharpness in my opinion that when displayed in a browser it appears blurry (at least to my eye).

Peter

Offline Nemonater

• Caesar
Re: Sharpening Images - blurriness when viewing through browser
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:17:00 pm »
I believe some digital cameras automatically apply sharpening to jpg photos.  Here is your photo sharpened a bit in photoshop.

To me, the photo looked exactly the same whether I viewed it on my computer or through forum.

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:37:08 pm »
This is a hold over from my working photography life, but I am not a fan of additional sharpening (there are exceptions). From a psychological/cognitive point of view, sharpening that provides greater detail than the human eye could reasonably see at a similar magnification can be sort of unsettling. L

Lightroom will let you export at different levels of sharpening depending on your application or by a custom setting. You can tell it to export for the screen or different types of print (as I recall).

Could it be a dpi or scaling thing? I haven't kept totally up to speed with browser requirements and compression and such.

Offline Milos M

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:47:36 pm »
For me, pictures are same on FORVM and in the browser. Usually, when I think a photo is not too sharp I add very small amount of detail in the lightroom. But blurriness in the thumbnail images could be just on website side. They are lowering the quality of thumbnails to reduce loading size and when you enlarge the photo, in my opinion, the photo you have posted is really great!

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:35:41 pm »
Sharpening is not an on/off subject.  Most programs have several sharpening options.  I use the one called 'Unsharp Mask' which has three numerical controls which affect the result in different ways according to the setting.  My most commonly used settings are 30, 0.3,0 in Photoshop Elements.  Simple cameras almost always apply sharpening and usually add too much in an effort to make their poor lenses look sharper than they are.  Sharpening is best applied as the last thing done in post processing and needs to be done keeping the size of the image in mind.  I shoot images with in camera sharpening turned off so I can do what needs to be done to the tones before applying the Unsharp Mask.  Sharpening can always be added but can not be removed once overdone. 

Some programs automatically add sharpness or otherwise play with images in ways I do not understand or use knowingly. Does Forvm? IDK.  It does reduce size of images posted to what the program considers appropriate for display.  You might be happier if you reduced the image size you upload and apply the sharpening controls you prefer rather than letting the software do it for you.  I upload images at 1080 pixels high which is reduced by the Forvm software but in a way I do not notice being objectionable while retaining the opportunity for interested viewers to enlarge the image by clicking for a closer look. Equipment varies.  What works best for my camera, my software, my computer and what I have done to the image may not be what you prefer or works best for your equipment.  The more we learn about the controls the more we realize we have yet to learn.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 08:56:36 am »
For me, pictures are same on FORVM and in the browser. Usually, when I think a photo is not too sharp I add very small amount of detail in the lightroom. But blurriness in the thumbnail images could be just on website side. They are lowering the quality of thumbnails to reduce loading size and when you enlarge the photo, in my opinion, the photo you have posted is really great!

Thanks you,

Very kind of you to say.

Offline Milos M

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 09:47:33 pm »
Do you use some lightpad under the coins for photo? You have very precise edges with white color.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 12:13:31 am »

However when displayed on a website, or simply opened from my computer using any internet browser (e.g. chrome, internet explorer, safari), the images become slightly blurry.

I've noticed it for some time and never done anything about it and it is somewhat frustrating.....

I see no difference in sharpness on Forum or in the browser. If you wear spectacles then I suggest you get your prescription checked.  If not then a visit to the optometrist may be in order. I am not joking. The effect you experience when viewing different screens and browsers could be the result of an underlying vision problem, or be the result of inappropriate gradation in a progressive spectacle lens. A lot of factors come into play in such comparisons and its not necessarily all related to the screen and browser, so its best to also consider the receiving side of the visual input as well, particularly if as you imply (my underline in the quote) its a relatively recent development that was not apparent to you in the past.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:59:00 am »

I've noticed it for some time and never done anything about it and it is somewhat frustrating.....

I see no difference in sharpness on Forum or in the browser. If you wear spectacles then I suggest you get your prescription checked.  If not then a visit to the optometrist may be in order. I am not joking. The effect you experience when viewing different screens and browsers could be the result of an underlying vision problem, or be the result of inappropriate gradation in a progressive spectacle lens. A lot of factors come into play in such comparisons and its not necessarily all related to the screen and browser, so its best to also consider the receiving side of the visual input as well, particularly if as you imply (my underline in the quote) its a relatively recent development that was not apparent to you in the past.

In my job I do spend a lot of time in front of the computer...and its been a while since I last visited the optometrist so thanks, I'll organise a visit.

I do notice it however when I am comparing them side by side though and consistently one but not the other so would be surprised if that is vision related given the outcome is always consistent. Slight blurriness in one (browser) but not the other (opening in image viewing software) and irrespective of which computer I use.

Sharpening is not an on/off subject.  Most programs have several sharpening options.  I use the one called 'Unsharp Mask' which has three numerical controls which affect the result in different ways according to the setting.  My most commonly used settings are 30, 0.3,0 in Photoshop Elements.  Simple cameras almost always apply sharpening and usually add too much in an effort to make their poor lenses look sharper than they are.  Sharpening is best applied as the last thing done in post processing and needs to be done keeping the size of the image in mind.  I shoot images with in camera sharpening turned off so I can do what needs to be done to the tones before applying the Unsharp Mask.  Sharpening can always be added but can not be removed once overdone.  

Some programs automatically add sharpness or otherwise play with images in ways I do not understand or use knowingly. Does Forvm? IDK.  It does reduce size of images posted to what the program considers appropriate for display.  You might be happier if you reduced the image size you upload and apply the sharpening controls you prefer rather than letting the software do it for you.  I upload images at 1080 pixels high which is reduced by the Forvm software but in a way I do not notice being objectionable while retaining the opportunity for interested viewers to enlarge the image by clicking for a closer look. Equipment varies.  What works best for my camera, my software, my computer and what I have done to the image may not be what you prefer or works best for your equipment.  The more we learn about the controls the more we realize we have yet to learn.

Great response, thanks!

Peter

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 07:11:04 am »

In my job I do spend a lot of time in front of the computer...and its been a while since I last visited the optometrist so thanks, I'll organise a visit.

I do notice it however when I am comparing them side by side though and consistently one but not the other so would be surprised if that is vision related given the outcome is always consistent. Slight blurriness in one (browser) but not the other (opening in image viewing software) and irrespective of which computer I use.

If you haven't already done so flip the comparison side by side images left to right. If the same effect is apparent (i.e. blurriness in browser when flipped to the other side of the field of view) then its less likely to be vision related. But if the effect is less pronounced then its time to visit the optometrist. Astigmatism can do funny things in different fields of gaze.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 09:36:11 am »

If you haven't already done so flip the comparison side by side images left to right. If the same effect is apparent (i.e. blurriness in browser when flipped to the other side of the field of view) then its less likely to be vision related. But if the effect is less pronounced then its time to visit the optometrist. Astigmatism can do funny things in different fields of gaze.

Thanks, I've just tried this and no difference. I think I'll still make the (overdue) visit to the optometrist just in case.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity