Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning a drachm of Menander I  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
Cleaning a drachm of Menander I
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:02:43 am »
I posted something similar in the cleaning forum, but noticed some comments on there about how it had died off. Sorry, I apologize for the cross-post. It may be more appropriate to put this here.

I have worked on this coin a good deal. The encrustation on it is resistant to solvents, acids and bases that I normally use to clean coins. It is also resistant to electrolysis. The gunk feels like it is somewhere between thick creosote and soft lead.

I can get it to flake of and even come up in patches with a probe.

Here are photos close up on the an area where you can see a trench I've made in the gunk and a flake of it on the top of the coin. I have worked it off some of the inscription and there is a well-struck coin under this stuff.

Thoughts?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Cleaning a drachm of Menander I
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:23:17 am »
It is horn silver. There is little benefit to removing it. It is made up of silver from the coin and is likely as attractive or more attractive than what would remain underneath.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:23 am »
Thanks.

It did come off cleanly in some areas, show as nice strike underneath. You can see it most clearly if you look at the last Z in basileos and the first Z in soter. I am posting the original listing photo form Ebay where it is clearest.

Bummer

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »
Common household ammonia will clean off horn silver, though it may well leave a corroded surface beneath.  If the process seems to stall completely, the horn silver is likely mixed with lime, which vinegar will remove.  Do not try the two solutions together--that would be disastrous.  After the vinegar, you could go back to ammonia.  But, again, you never know what sort of surface you might reveal underneath.  I have had some great results and some complete ruins.

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:39:04 pm »
Common household ammonia will clean off horn silver, though it may well leave a corroded surface beneath.  If the process seems to stall completely, the horn silver is likely mixed with lime, which vinegar will remove.  Do not try the two solutions together--that would be disastrous.  After the vinegar, you could go back to ammonia.  But, again, you never know what sort of surface you might reveal underneath.  I have had some great results and some complete ruins.

Thanks! That's exactly the information I needed.

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 12:09:38 pm »
I got it down to the metal and got all of the horn silver out through the use of an aluminum foil galvanization set-up and then white vinegar. I did the galvanization soak twice (with boiling water and baking soda)

I learned a lot!

This coin was never going to be perfect, and I know some people will disagree, but I like it brought down to the silver, if my other option is having nodules of horn silver on the coin.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 08:15:56 am »
I hate the foil technique.  Frequently it just turns the upper layer of the horn silver to silver and leaves the rest of it lumped up below and now makes it virtually impossible to clean by any other method. 

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:57:33 am »
I hate the foil technique.  Frequently it just turns the upper layer of the horn silver to silver and leaves the rest of it lumped up below and now makes it virtually impossible to clean by any other method. 

Thanks for the warning. I will keep and eye out for that when I have to clean horn silver in the future.

If I am understanding you correctly, I don't think I ran into this problem, but it is good to know about.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 02:19:05 pm »
Nice job cleaning the coin.  I like to use CLR on silver coins.  Works well.  I have also used the foil method with some success as well. 

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 02:31:31 pm »
Thanks! What is CLR?

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 04:14:39 pm »
Calcium Line and Rust remover.  Tip given to me by one of the large auction houses.  They use it on silver coins as well.  Don't use it on anything where you want to preserve a patina.  It will strip it right off.

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 04:38:28 pm »
Calcium Line and Rust remover.  Tip given to me by one of the large auction houses.  They use it on silver coins as well.  Don't use it on anything where you want to preserve a patina.  It will strip it right off.

Better living through chemistry! Much appreciated

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 06:58:03 pm »
Around here we can find CLR in the grocery stores.  It is very strong--I generall prefer weaker solutions I can control better.  CLR will take things down to the bare metal.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity