Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: HADRIANUS Dupondius  (Read 837 times)

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
HADRIANUS Dupondius
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:44:46 pm »
This coin is one of my favorites and Hadrian isnt even close to one of my favorite emperors but to me its a fine coin. If anyone can tell me more about this coin specifically the reverse and its meaning I'd would be greatful. Best regards fellas, Stephen

26.5mm 12.8g
Basileus Stephen

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
Re: HADRIANUS Dupondius
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 10:54:46 pm »
 here's a couple more views
Basileus Stephen

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 11:21:02 am »
The design shows the goddess/personification Salus (health/welfare) feeding a snake which is wound around an altar

Salus Augusti is generally a form of sacrifice in honour of the health of the Emperor - specifically the fulfillment of a vow that had been made to Salus when the Emperor was ill.  By contrast Salus Publica was evoked for the health and welfare of the public.

On coins like this where the legend does not define which one is meant it is hard to be 100% certain, but BMC makes it clear that these issues of Hadrian with Salus feeding a snake are Salus Augusti types expressing hopes for the health of the Emperor.  Not sure if he was known to be sick or there were just concerns about the dangers related to all his travel.

The main temple of Salus was on the Quirinal Hill near the temple of Quirinus.  Its dedication day was August 5th.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 07:41:03 pm »
Thanks guys. Can either of you come up with a date from legend on rev?
Basileus Stephen

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 02:35:37 am »
Thanks guys. Can either of you come up with a date from legend on rev?

use my link i gave
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:45 pm »
Ok Eric thanks. I wasnt sure if this same reverse was made in multiple years as a dupondius and would have cos III or IIII for example? Also I dont think the pics quite capture the shiny reflective like surface of the coin as opposed to the one in the link with the more old bronze look. Is that normal for dupondius and is it orichalum? Regards, Stephen
Basileus Stephen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity