Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Byzantine Seal with Monograms on Both Sides and an Eagle  (Read 1180 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I just purchased an interesting and fairly clear Byzantine lead seal with a monogram on each side.  On one side is a monogram within a wreath which has K and H on the horizontal arms.  On the other side, the monogram has N and N on the horizontal arms.  

I would appreciate any assistance in identifying and dating this interesting seal.  

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Interesting Byzantine Seal with a Monogram on Both Sides
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »
Could the first side be the obverse with Eagle with uplifted wings and head turned to left; in field above head of eagle, cruciform invocative monogram Wreath border.?

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Interesting Byzantine Seal with a Monogram on Both Sides
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 05:03:00 pm »
Just a wild conjecture as to dating, but see coin 60 at this link:
http://akropoliscoins.com/page6.html
PeteB

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Interesting Byzantine Seal with Monograms on Both Sides and an Eagle
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:05:34 am »
While the  coin of Manuel I Comnenus (1143-1180 AD) and this lead seal both have monograms, I believe that the seal is possibly much older.  I was looking through Dumbarton Oaks catalogue and found a similar obverse which was attributed to the 7th Century (600-699 AD). 

pogh_poor

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Interesting Byzantine Seal with Monograms on Both Sides and an Eagle
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 03:41:21 pm »
Yes, 7th century for sure. The obverse has an invocational monogram 'Theotoke boethei', asking the Mother of God as 'God-bearer' (Theotokos, in vocative 'Theotoke') to 'aid' the seal's owner. That means his name should be on the reverse, possibly with his rank or office, but unfortunately some detail is lost. I do think a plausible reading of the monogram is IWANNOV -omega and alpha below, two N's left and right, which should leave OV at the top. The letters in the fields make up the last part of the seal's owner's identification. Normally, there should be his rank or office divided into four parts, for example AP-OV-PA-TWN (apo hypaton) or PA-TR-IK-IW (patrikios). But none of the common ranks seem to fit. An interesting possibility is that the upper fields have [V]I - OV ('huios' means 'son'), which would leave the patronym in the lower fields, but I can't say for certain what that would be.
Regards
Gert
----
As illustration, two seals from my database. The first one also has a patronym with the word 'huios' in the legend. The second one follows my proposed reading of the monogram of your seal with IV-OV in the field.
----
Martinos, apo eparchon, son of Ambros. Byzantine lead seal (26mm, 16.22 gram) c. 7th century AD
+ΘEOT
  • KE BOH[Θ]H MAPTNW in four lines

+AΠOEΠAPXWN VIWA[M]BP in four lines
----
Johannes, son of Meze, apo hypaton. Byzantine lead seal late 7th century
Cruciform monogram IWANNOV. In the four angles, VI - OV - ME - ZE
Cruciform monogram AΠO VΠATWN
Zacos/Veglery 363; 9.80g; 25mm; good fine

All coins are guaranteed for eternity