Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New to cleaning  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Brian G2

• Legionary
New to cleaning
« on: February 23, 2017, 06:54:15 pm »
I'm new to cleaning and I purchased this $10 large Roman coin from a [REMOVED BY ADMIN]. I assume I don't know what I'm looking at, but to me this just looks like a clean coin with a rusty outside and the patina, cleaned and chipping off in various places..

Can the coin be improved? It looks like if I do anything to the green image it will only chip away. The bust side looks similar.  I was hoping to get a dirty coin that I could soak and clean. I understand there are no guarantees with this type of purchase.

Offline Brian G2

• Legionary
Re: New to cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:58:37 pm »
See pic. It didn't previously attach

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:23 pm »
In my opinion, it cannot be improved, except for a soak in distiller water to remove surface dirt.
Best bet, leave it as is, because the original patina is chipping away due to rough  handling in modern times. Again, just one man's opinion.
PeteB

Offline Brian G2

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:15:48 pm »
Thanks, Pete. That's unfortunate. I was only buying it for the fun of getting to clean it up. I bought several other AE3s that look as expected.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:53:16 am »
Normally you would continue to "clean" this coin by removing some of the green encrustations mechanically - with a scalpel under magnification.  But, as you note the patina has chipped away from all the edges making it probable that any pressure on the central part would just end up chipping that bit away too.

Probably nothing left to do, but it can be identified.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity