Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AE20 Athena and Zeus needs help.  (Read 626 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Greek AE20 Athena and Zeus needs help.
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:04:58 pm »
Hello all.  :)

This one i hit a coin wall, the closest i can get is this.
ATTICA, Athens. 87/6 BC. Æ Chalkous (17mm, 8.15 g, 12h). Mithradatic War issue. Struck under Mithradates VI of Pontos and Ariston. Helmeted head of Athena right / Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. Kroll 97;

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=670467

But Athenas head on my coin is to the left.

Well maybe someone knows better?

Here is my coins info:
Bronze AE20
Adv: Helmeted ( i think) head of Athena looking left.
Rev: Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. (Well it looks like there is a star)
Seize:20 mm
Weight:6.91 gram.

Thank you for your time and help+++

Cheers Kim

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Greek AE20 Athena and Zeus needs help.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:24:31 pm »
Hello all.  :)

This one i hit a coin wall, the closest i can get is this.
ATTICA, Athens. 87/6 BC. Æ Chalkous (17mm, 8.15 g, 12h). Mithradatic War issue. Struck under Mithradates VI of Pontos and Ariston. Helmeted head of Athena right / Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. Kroll 97;

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=670467

But Athenas head on my coin is to the left.

Well maybe someone knows better?

Here is my coins info:
Bronze AE20
Adv: Helmeted ( i think) head of Athena looking left.
Rev: Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. (Well it looks like there is a star)
Seize:20 mm
Weight:6.91 gram.

Thank you for your time and help+++

Cheers Kim

Have seen some Athens bronzes with similar reverse.  Also resembles a small bronze coin attributed to Ellis (see photo below).  Perhaps the obverse figure of your coin, lacking a typical Athena helmet, is ApolloReverse appears to have a very large tripod at left and maybe a large THETA at right. 

PtolemAE

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:20 pm »

Similar to this:

MESSENIA, Messene. Late 2nd century BC. Æ Hemiobol or Hexachalkon (21mm, 6.62 g, 1h). Diademed head of Demeter left / Zeus standing right, holding eagle on outstretched arm and preparing to cast thunderbolt; tripod to left, wreath and ΔIΩN to right. Grandjean 413 (D232/R368); BCD Peloponnesos 733-5.

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:16:18 pm »
Hello PtolemAE  and Pekka, Demeter well no wonder i got no hits. And there is a looong way from Athens too Messenia.  :o Thank you kindly guys!  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity