Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek AE20 Athena and Zeus needs help.  (Read 622 times)

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Greek AE20 Athena and Zeus needs help.
« on: February 22, 2017, 02:04:58 pm »
Hello all.  :)

This one i hit a coin wall, the closest i can get is this.
ATTICA, Athens. 87/6 BC. Æ Chalkous (17mm, 8.15 g, 12h). Mithradatic War issue. Struck under Mithradates VI of Pontos and Ariston. Helmeted head of Athena right / Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. Kroll 97;

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=670467

But Athenas head on my coin is to the left.

Well maybe someone knows better?

Here is my coins info:
Bronze AE20
Adv: Helmeted ( i think) head of Athena looking left.
Rev: Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. (Well it looks like there is a star)
Seize:20 mm
Weight:6.91 gram.

Thank you for your time and help+++

Cheers Kim

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
Re: Greek AE20 Athena and Zeus needs help.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 02:24:31 pm »
Hello all.  :)

This one i hit a coin wall, the closest i can get is this.
ATTICA, Athens. 87/6 BC. Æ Chalkous (17mm, 8.15 g, 12h). Mithradatic War issue. Struck under Mithradates VI of Pontos and Ariston. Helmeted head of Athena right / Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. Kroll 97;

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=670467

But Athenas head on my coin is to the left.

Well maybe someone knows better?

Here is my coins info:
Bronze AE20
Adv: Helmeted ( i think) head of Athena looking left.
Rev: Zeus striding right, preparing to cast thunderbolt; to right, star within two crescents. (Well it looks like there is a star)
Seize:20 mm
Weight:6.91 gram.

Thank you for your time and help+++

Cheers Kim

Have seen some Athens bronzes with similar reverse.  Also resembles a small bronze coin attributed to Ellis (see photo below).  Perhaps the obverse figure of your coin, lacking a typical Athena helmet, is ApolloReverse appears to have a very large tripod at left and maybe a large THETA at right. 

PtolemAE

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:20 pm »

Similar to this:

MESSENIA, Messene. Late 2nd century BC. Æ Hemiobol or Hexachalkon (21mm, 6.62 g, 1h). Diademed head of Demeter left / Zeus standing right, holding eagle on outstretched arm and preparing to cast thunderbolt; tripod to left, wreath and ΔIΩN to right. Grandjean 413 (D232/R368); BCD Peloponnesos 733-5.

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:16:18 pm »
Hello PtolemAE  and Pekka, Demeter well no wonder i got no hits. And there is a looong way from Athens too Messenia.  :o Thank you kindly guys!  :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity