Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unlisted Constans coin?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Unlisted Constans coin?
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:36:01 pm »
This appears to be as follows, except unlisted officina:
Constans. as caesar. Æ 16mm  Siscia mint, 3rd officina. Struck 335-336 AD. Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Two soldiers standing facing one another; signum between; ΓSIS in exergue. RIC VII 255, but officina Γ not listed.
As recent posts have revealed, I am not the swiftest with RIC, but is this indeed unlisted?
PeteB

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Unlisted Constans coin?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:01:31 pm »
You are right that that officina is not in RIC, nor does it appear to be on Lech Stepniewski's NOT IN RIC site.  As the gamma officina was known for Constantius II there is no reason it shouldn't be known for Constans.  It would complete the set.

However, just to play devil's advocate are you sure it is a  :Greek_Gamma: ?  Upon close examination I can see some signs of a  :Greek_Gamma: though it is faint.  Then there is a deeper (taller on the coin) curved line that looks like it might have been for a  :Greek_epsilon: .

So is it a  :Greek_Gamma: or did someone start carving  :Greek_Gamma: and switch??

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Unlisted Constans coin?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 12:25:43 pm »
"... curved line that looks like it might have been for a  Greek_epsilon .

So is it a  Greek_Gamma or did someone start carving  Greek_Gamma and switch??"

Sharp eye. I just looked at it under a 10x loupe and the line is curved, BUT there is also a sharp 90 degree incision at the top left. So, I will go with the gamma.

Thanks, Shawn!
PeteB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity