Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius 'Barbarous' Sestertius  (Read 1817 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Claudius 'Barbarous' Sestertius
« on: February 18, 2017, 07:57:47 pm »
I recently picked up a Claudius sestertius with Spes reverse.  It is 32mm, but only 12.5 grams.  On the Members' Galleries and elsewhere, I've seen these extra-light weight sestertii described as 'barbarous' with no further description.  This leads to some questions that I would pose for the smart folks on this forum.

1. Although the weight decidedly is off, the designs seem very well struck.  Why are these 'barbarous'?  Compared to later barbarous imitatives with botched inscriptions, poor designs, etc, these Claudius sestertii seem much 'cleaner.'

2.  On the galleries and elsewhere, some of these coins have been inscribed DV, indicating that they have the same value as a dupondius.  Was this done locally or more centrally, suggesting that they were officially legal tender, albeit at a reduced value?

3.  I haven't seen similar barbarous sestertii for other rulers.  Were these a 'one-off' for Claudius?

4.  Did these sestertii have a similar role to those of the later limes denarii (and reading through earlier boards, I know that there is some disagreement over the exact use of limes denarii)?

5.  Is it known where the barbarous sestertii were struck?

My apologies for all the questions, but I find that the stories behind the coins usually can be more interesting than the coins themselves.  Thanks for any info.

Best,
Larry

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Claudius 'Barbarous' Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 08:10:56 pm »
Hi lc,

Here is my example (scroll down, second coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_claudius_nero.htm

The dealer didn't provide the weight.

Meepzorp

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:25:22 am »
Unofficial is a better term than barbarous and helps describe its use better.

Some unofficial coins are barbarous in style, others not.

Unofficial coins, especially ones that are clearly different by style, weight or module, are generally made to make up for shortages of coinage, not to fool people.

Thus those light weight sestertii that were tariffed by some (local ?) authority as dupondi at some point.  Such markings were likely done to allow the unofficial coin to circulate a bit more widely.

Unofficial imitations are very common for Claudius' bronze coinage, though they are usually asses, and more rarely sestertii and dupondii.  They are very common in Britain, Spain and parts of Gaul (the north I think) and less common but still known along the Rhine and Danube.  The general thought is that the presence of troops in these areas outstripped the quantity of official coinage creating shortages.  Studies on these coins have shown that they are common around military sites.  Enough are found in military sites to know that they were tolerated as coinage there.  But more are found in civilian settlements adjacent to military sites (canabae) showing that they were likely made there, by civilian entrepreneurs, to facilitate trade with the soldiers.

While there are a few similar coins for later Emperors, the need seems to have passed for a long time.  It is not until the limes denarii and limes falsa of the early 3rd century, and the small barbarous radiates of the later 3rd century, that you get as many unofficial coins.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 04:26:30 pm »
Thank you very much for the info.  Along with probably most everyone else, I have the usual selection of limes denarii in my collection, but had not realized that this process went on as early as Claudius.  I'm still a bit bemused that they would strike coins the size of sestertii rather than go for the smaller coins.  Thanks again.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:44:39 pm »
The sestertii are certainly a good bit rare than the assess and the quadrantes.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 06:04:39 pm »
The sestertii are certainly a good bit rare than the assess and the quadrantes.

Shawn

Interesting Shawn, I actually see more sestertii than the smaller denominations for Claudius being unofficial.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 08:17:22 pm »
I wanted to make sure I was not biased because of my own collection.  I have one imitation Claudian sestertius, 12 imitation asses and 10 imitation quadrantes.  So I checked to see if that was influencing my memory, but it seems not.

Banti (CNR XV) definitely lists more imitation assess than any other denomination, and then has more sestertii than quadrantes. 

Nina Crummy, in Colchester Archaeological Report 4: The Coins from Excavations in Colchester 1971-9, gives the following Claudian imitations:  94 assess, 29 dupondii and 1 sestertius.  She then (page 40) adds in the holdings in the Colchester Museum and Sheepen's excavations from the 1930s to get a total of:  231 assess, 121 dupondii, and 27 sestertii.

I have a couple of photocopied articles that I think showed the same thing but I can't lay my hands on them right now.  They are filed away somewhere.

The imitation quadrantes appear to mainly be a Spanish thing, the dupondii British, and the asses and sestertii from wherever Claudian imitations are found.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 11:50:31 pm »
Thanks Shawn.  Interesting.  I'm just going by what I see available in trade.  Then again I don't really collect middle and small bronzes so I just may not have noticed.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 05:53:24 pm »
Just one correction.  While Nina Crummy edited the book on the Colchester coins, the article "The Claudian Coinage" was by Robert Kenyon.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:48:00 pm »
Claudius seems to have more unofficial AE than most but my favorites are the underweight sestertii that received a DV countermark to reduce their value to a dupondius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity