Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Green-blue incrustation  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Tullio A

• Praetorian
Green-blue incrustation
« on: February 18, 2017, 12:01:11 pm »
Hello.
Hope you can help me.
I recently bought some silver coins with the same type of incrustation. This in the picture is one of them.
I would like to clean away the crust, but I don't have any idea how to make it.
Any suggestion for a newby? Or do you think it's better to leave the coins like they are?
I thank you in advance for your kind attention!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Green-blue incrustation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:05:56 am »
You have copper corrosion products on a silver coin.  Your coins looks to be solid silver so the copper corrosion is likely from other items that were buried in close proximity to the coin.  The pattern of copper also supports this as it looks like the result of water deposits (water in soil that is).

I don't think you can clean it nicely mechanically, as the copper-deposits will be hard and the silver can scratch easily.

If you feel you must clean it you would have to use a chemical (mild acid) that would soften or remove the copper and leave the silver.

Check the "Cleaning silver (not silvered) coins" thread in this section for more advice (it is not something I am good at) or maybe others will add more advice.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 01:38:41 pm »
If ALL of them are good silver with identical encrustations, just soak them in concentrated lemon juice you can buy at a grocery store. A couple of hours should do it. The green might turn to red deposits underneath. Just keep soaking and BLOT with a soft cloth. Don't brush vigorously, or you will probably get a brightness you don't want. If stubborn red deposits occurr, try picking at them precisely with a wooden tooth pick and continue soaking.
Good luck.
PeteB

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:53:44 am »
A soak in common vinegar ought remove the Green encrustations.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity