Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Specific area to collect  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Daniel Bergström

• Praetorian
Specific area to collect
« on: February 17, 2017, 05:33:48 pm »
I don't have any specific area of interest to my collecting. I have just been buying whatever sparks my interest. I'm interested in greek coinage for the beautiful coins with animals, and the amazing details, the roman coins be it emperor Caligula for his madness or emperor Hadrian for his travels. I like buying something then read about the history behind the coin, to hold a part of that history and imagine everything this coin has been through... if only it could speak.
However when reading about collecting ancient coins, it seems to be really important to find an area of interest for your collecting. Why don't just buy whatever ticks your interest like i'm doing so far? What's your thoughts about this matter?

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Specific area to collect
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:58:35 pm »
Sounds like you have a great approach.  My collecting is very focused but there is nothing wrong with not specializing.  Are you having fun?  That's the ultimate goal.

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 02:20:03 am »
Sounds like you have a great approach.  My collecting is very focused but there is nothing wrong with not specializing.  Are you having fun?  That's the ultimate goal.

^^^This is the best advice you will ever get. Let your nose take you where it may, there are no rules beyond finding enjoyment.

Offline Frank M

• Praetorian
    • www.frankmcmains.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 05:47:39 am »
I collect based on what grabs my interest as well. For a while I was trying to get a good cross section of coins with a Sallus reverse because of its association with healing/plague. The societal effects of disease and propaganda being separate but interesting areas for study. The Ptolemys have some great portraits on their silver coins. Roman Republican coins with double portraits care very compelling. Something about the abstract simplicity of Ashokan punch-silver coins appeals to me as well.

There is something for everyone

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:10 am »
Your approach is great.  And will likely evolve.

Right now you seem to be mostly interested in the history side which is great.  It leads you to all kinds of reading and study.  And that in turn will lead you to want to collect coins from other interesting characters.

It might also lead you more into numismatic history one day.  That is, a more "internal" interest in the coins than "external".  Liking a style, or series, or mint, or something like that.

Like Nick said, having a fun and interesting hobby is the key.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Daniel Bergström

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:30:23 pm »
As long as it's fun it's all good  :) but i'm still wondering why all the guides on ancient coin collecting always talks about finding a niche.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 04:35:32 pm »
Probably because a niche collector will bid considerably more. I've paid hundreds for coins others wouldn't think to spend a few dollars on.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 04:37:40 pm »
But also because there is certainly  value in specializing, of course. You get to understand something at a much deeper level.

Offline Daniel Bergström

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 05:31:54 pm »
Yes but why would the person writing a guide care about how much i spend on coins?

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 05:40:16 pm »
I guess it depends who is writing it.  What guides are you talking about, specifically?

Offline Daniel Bergström

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 05:56:10 pm »
I don't remember where exactly, just that i have read it several times in different places

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 06:23:47 pm »
Depends on your personal interests.

To me a focus on ancients excludes 1600 years of history covered by coins and 70 % of the world. Specialize on them may be ok. But that doesn´t mean to exclude the rest of struck material.

I even bought some 1 $ coins of the US presidential series and both coins with the portrait of Saddam Hussein recently as i was interested in the history of these periods.
(When will a Donald T. coin be issued ?) ;)

regards

Offline ickster

• Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 02:27:48 am »

^^^This is the best advice you will ever get. Let your nose take you where it may, there are no rules beyond finding enjoyment.

+1

I also follow the "that looks interesting" method, but I do have some general goals in mind. Nothing specific, and I'm not very disciplined, but I'm having fun.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 04:30:03 am »

(When will a Donald T. coin be issued ?) ;)

Its already arrived ....
http://www.franklinmint.com/donald-trump-45th-president-colorized-coin-currency/detail.php?p=1049037
https://www.trumpdollar.us/
https://www.trumpforpresidentbobblehead.com/products/president-trump-inauguration-commemorative-coin
Even the Russians are in on the act ...
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/19/europe/russia-trump-inaugural-coin/

This may be the hot new area in which to collect? Who knows? Stranger things have have happened, there's no accounting for taste and I say that most non-judgmentally. But then again some little voice in my head keeps repeating something about relieving fools of their money. Think I'll stick with ancients.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 07:39:03 am »
Just like my day job,  I am a generalist when it comes to collecting. I do not like to restrict myself with what I collect,  though I do find myself leaning towards nice portraits of Roman Emperors or interesting Greek silvers, when deciding to make a purchase.

Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity