Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan's bronze to identificate.  (Read 806 times)

Offline Perikles

• Consul
Trajan's bronze to identificate.
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:16:22 pm »
Hallo,
can you help me to identificate this bronze of Trajan?
2,88 gr
18,5 mm
Do you think that it is a fake?

Thank you
Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Trajan's bronze to identificate.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 01:21:34 pm »
Type is a denar, like this:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3482126

Are you sure that it is bronze, weight is not out of range for a silver coin? If yes, it is might be a  contemporary white metal fake.

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:12:19 pm »
Yes, it is bronze...
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 02:40:23 pm »
Hi. What is the reason you believe it is bronze?  I have seen many silver coins that range from black, to gray, even to olive green when they come from areas near the sea.  Could this be a patina of silver chloride (horn silver)?  If so, cleaning could be a disaster!  A photo of the edge might helpGood luck!

Offline Joseph B2

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:04:16 am »
Hello,

I don't have much experience with ancient coinage as I've only been collecting for less than a year. However, I believe roman bronze coinage of around that size existed at that time: the Semis. According to wikipedia, the Semis was produced until the end of Hadrian's rule.

If this is indeed bronze, it could be a Semis of Trajan.

Best of luck,
Joseph

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 12:58:21 pm »
Hallo,
can you help me to identificate this bronze of Trajan?
2,88 gr
18,5 mm
Do you think that it is a fake?

Thank you
Perikles

Hi Perikles, it seems to be a limes denarius, which was silvered and circulated along with ordinary denarii.  The silvering did survive until now, so that you can see only the cast core. Such denarii are common finds around borders (limes) of Roman Empire.

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 06:48:57 am »
Thanks to all of you, you have helped me a lot!

Perikles
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

All coins are guaranteed for eternity