Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius coin quality  (Read 629 times)

Offline John S3

• Legionary
Carausius coin quality
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:09:29 pm »
I am wrapping up "Diocletian and the Roman Recovery" by Stephan Williams.  One of the things he mentioned that stirred my coin interest was the quality of Carausius coinage that was far better than what would become the tetrarchy's coins.  He noted the merchants preferred the coins.  The quality was driven by England's noted silver mines. I have been trolling "the market" and what I've seen doesn't match the history so to speak.  What up?

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carausius coin quality
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:19:37 am »
Hi,
The reference is probably to Carausius' silver laureate coinage that was unparalled in the contemporary Roman coinage and seemed to pre-empt the "argenteus" of the tetrarchs. There are some examples in my gallery of Carausius' coinage here on Forvm.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=33960&fullsize=1

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline John S3

• Legionary
Re: Carausius coin quality
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:48:46 pm »
Thank you for the insights!  I look forward to researching this more...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity