Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero Antioch  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
Nero Antioch
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:51:46 am »
Hello all here is what I think may be a Nero Antioch SC coin. The bust seems to be a dead giveaway but I can decypher a legible legend and the images of Nero coins from Antioch on Wildwinds didnt seem to be a perfect match. Any help appreciated. Here are the attributes:  25mm 13.1g
Basileus Stephen

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Nero Antioch
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:29:06 am »

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:35:37 am »
I could see that as most coins of Nero if not in distinction by the reverse type always seemingly have similar bust shaped to the early Flavian emperors and Domitian included although some of his coins are more distinct with longer or thinner neck many look similar to his father and brothers. I did glance through Wildwinds for this on Vespasian and Titus and like the Nero I seen many similarities but other things that gave me some pause. I appreciate your feedback Jay and hopefully somebody checks this out that has the same one and can give me a solid ID.
Basileus Stephen

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 09:38:46 am »
Wildwinds is great but doesn't give enough examples for comparison.  I tend to use acsearch.info for the amount of coins presented.

bakkar

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 12:36:08 pm »
I think Jay is correct. This is more likely Titus. Nero coins of Antioch have specific reverse type.
I have a clear specimen for Titus.

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »
Thanks for the link Bakkar!! I didnt see that exact type on wildwinds so I wasnt quite sure but after seeing that I believe you and Jay have helped me make a official ID. Thanks guys. Best regards, Stephen
Basileus Stephen

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 01:55:53 am »
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:39 am »
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/otho/RPC_4318.4.jpg
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/otho/RPC_4319.1.jpg
Thanks for your link Q. And please guys tell me what your opinion is on the 2 above links. These are 2 of several antioch types of Otho and I chose these 2 because in comparison to his other types these 2 have seemingly shorter thicker necks like my coin and although I think Titus is def a front runner I never thought to look at other Emperors than Nero or Flavian until this morning and to my surprise and unlike his typical bust shown on most coins these 2 are strikingly similar to the others we've discussed and I know now by the bust type alone Nero is out but I could see this 50/50 with no clear discernible legends
Basileus Stephen

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:37:37 am »
For me it's Titus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity