Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Smithsonian Institute's Collection of Ancients  (Read 2457 times)

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Smithsonian Institute's Collection of Ancients
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:41:28 am »
Interesting reading, but also a bit disappointing in that we have a major US museum, basically our "national" museum, who apparently didn't even really know what they had until they performed this quick assessment.

The article doesn't really say, but I'd be interested in knowing if any of these coins is on public display at the Smithsonian.  I know that only a small fraction of their US coins are on display, so I assume that doesn't bode well for the ancients.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/sites/default/files/file-uploader/Overview.pdf

All coins are guaranteed for eternity