Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Guy Clark Passes Away  (Read 3168 times)

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Guy Clark Passes Away
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:34:17 pm »
Posted on another forum.

On Feb 13, 2017, at 13:59, herakles_inc@yahoo.com [Moneta-L] <Moneta-L@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

It is with much sadness that I announce the passing of Guy Clark on Saturday night. He was as easy going a person as you could ever meet, honest, sincere, knowledgeable, and a great sense of humor. Among many things, Guy did much for the young numismatists in the hobby. They all loved him. He had been suffering with corticobasal ganglionic degeneration, a rare, progressive neurodegenerative disease, since 2012. He was a good friend and will be greatly missed.

Perry Siegel
Herakles Numismatics
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Guy Clark Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 10:26:38 pm »
Very sad to hear.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 11:06:29 pm »
Vale Guy Clark. Very sad to hear of his passing.

Guy, along with several others, was among the first group of
dealers I met in person (having travelled over from that distant
land of Australia!)
and became friends with over 25 years ago.
Always good for a chat, and a quiet beer or two after the shows.

A real nice chap, who will be missed greatly. R.I.P. dear friend.

Walter Holt
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 11:12:22 pm »
Too young.
I knew him well.
Yes, a Gentle Man.
May God bless and keep him in His house.
PeteB

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 03:04:04 am »
Very sad

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 06:44:56 pm »
That is very sad.

Back in the mid-2000s when I was a fairly new collector, and only had some late Roman bronzes, I decided I wanted to get a cheap "12 caesars" set.  I had just read Suetonius - the usual story.  (Well not exactly 12 caesars, but the early caesars as I knew that I would have to skip the expensive ones.) 

There were really no ancients where I lived in Ottawa and the only dealers I dealt with at the time were dealers in late Roman / uncleaned coins.  Someone, I can't even remember who, pointed me to Guy's website.  This was long before he was on vcoins.  I emailed him to tell him what I wanted.  Bronzes in the $10-20 range for the 1st century caesars.

Guy had infinite patience for me - a collector totally new to that period and not intending to spend much money.  In addition to the two I had seen on his list he found me about 4 or 5 more from unlisted stock.  I am sure that he took pity on me because I got some nice coins that I bet he would have listed for a good bit higher than he sold them to me for.

I just looked at my Emperor's Portrait tray and still, 12 years later, my Augustus, Tiberius and Titus are from that original batch from Guy.

RIP my friend.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 07:28:22 am »
It is very sad to hear about Guy.  I knew he was suffering for several years but despite his illness he was always gracious, always friendly and more than willing to share his knowledge.  He was a very smart guy.  He told me he was, if I remember correctly, a marine biologist by training and was well versed in many subjects beyond coins.  He told me about his disease and over the years I could see how it had affected his speech and his motor skills.  But his mind was always sharp.  I even talked to a neighbor of mine who works for the National Institute of Health to see if they had any research programs that might admit him but alas no.  RIP Guy!

Steve S.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity