Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diocletian - VTILITAS PVBLICA  (Read 674 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Diocletian - VTILITAS PVBLICA
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:36:03 pm »
I have never managed to get a fraction of Dioceltian before and was unfamiliar with the reverse type. These are described as AE Fractions, denarius or quinarius which indicates some confusion with regards to the denomination.

Diocletian - AE Fraction
Ae Fraction, sometimes referred to as denarius / quinarius

Obv:- DIOCLETI-ANVS AVG, laureate head right
Rev:- VTILITAS PVBLICA, Utilitas standing facing, head left, hands in drapery.
Minted in Rome (T in exergue). A.D. 294 - 295
Reference:- RIC VI Rome 48 (Rated R2).

1.43 gms. 16.68 mm

Martin

maximinvs

Re: Diocletian - VTILITAS PVBLICA
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:11 am »
Nice catch, these hardly ever turn up, at least where I get my coins from.
Considered to be post-reform in date, contemporary with the post-reform radiates and intended to be a half of that denomination.
If the PRRs were tariffed at 2dc then this fraction is a 1dc piece, i.e. the denarius communis itself.
Strange that these were issued in such small numbers, they can hardly have provided the 'VTILITAS PVBLICA' that the reverse celebrates!
Cheers,
Ian

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 02:45:00 pm »
I have been waiting patiently for one of these for a long time too.  No luck yet.  Congratulations on yours.  It is a nice example.

I think the legend must refer to Diocletian's entire reform and not this denomination, which as Peter notes is far to rare to be useful.  I suspect it may have been issued right at the beginning of the reform.  Maybe even for gifting to the public.

But Peter's point stands.  I have always thought that the reform itself must have been rather inconvenient.  Though there is still not total agreement on the values of the new coins, most people acknowledge that the main denomination was much higher than the previous Aurelianus (aka Aurelianianus / late Antoninianus) while the new radiate was of similar value but not as common. 

Thus the new reform would appear to have left a shortage of small change.  A token issue of denarii communes would not have helped.  Hence the old, small Antoniniani appear to have remained in circulation.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 03:35:03 pm »
Great coin Martin;)

Congratulation .. +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity