Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Holder for Bar Kochba sela (tetradrachm)  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Barry36

• Legionary
Holder for Bar Kochba sela (tetradrachm)
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:36:49 pm »
Hello, I'm new around here so forgive me if this has been discussed..

I generally use kointain capsules for my coins and store them in my abafil. However my Bar Kochba sela is too thick for the kointain holders. Can anyone suggest an alternative that will still be able to fit in an abafil tray?

Thanks

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Holder for Bar Kochba sela (tetradrachm)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum Barry.

There is a Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage section on this forum which has many interesting posts related to storage.  It is well worth a read.

Though forum members use all kinds of different storage options, you will find that, in general, we are a "let it be free" bunch.  So one question is why do you need a container for it.  Ancient coins are generally fine sitting in trays without any extra protection.  Silver tones better "au naturelle". 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Barry36

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:54:29 pm »
Welcome to the forum Barry.

There is a Coin Photography, Conservation and Storage section on this forum which has many interesting posts related to storage.  It is well worth a read.

Though forum members use all kinds of different storage options, you will find that, in general, we are a "let it be free" bunch.  So one question is why do you need a container for it.  Ancient coins are generally fine sitting in trays without any extra protection.  Silver tones better "au naturelle". 

Shawn

Thanks for the welcome and I will definitely check out those threads..

A few experienced collectors had recommended that I store them in holders to protect them from "the elements" and from "cabinet rub".. Also, this particular coin has a beautiful luster which will get dulled over time if left open..

You think I should just let it be?

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 08:04:54 pm »
Welcome Barry.  I often hear people talk about cabinet "rub" or tray wear.  For modern coins sure, but unless your coin is in mint state I don't think you have much to worry about in a tray when it comes to ancients.  After all they've been in the ground and in people's hands for the past 2000 years. That's just me though...

Offline Barry36

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 08:10:01 pm »
Welcome Barry.  I often hear people talk about cabinet "rub" or tray wear.  For modern coins sure, but unless your coin is in mint state I don't think you have much to worry about in a tray when it comes to ancients.  After all they've been in the ground and in people's hands for the past 2000 years. That's just me though...
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually the coin I'm talking about was graded as "Mint state" :) but obviously that's relative to ancients..

Would you recommend a holder in this case or you meant virtual mint state, such as an uncirculated modern coin?

Online Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »
It's not true unless we see it!  ;D

Just kidding.  If that's the case then yes you'd want to keep it in something.  I have a mint state gold stater that I've considered doing something with but for now it's just in my tray.  I rarely move my tray's so I'm not really concerned.   Beyond putting it in a flip I'm not sure what you'd use but I'm sure someone will bring forth a solution.

Offline Barry36

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 08:56:26 pm »
It's not true unless we see it!  ;D

Just kidding.  If that's the case then yes you'd want to keep it in something.  I have a mint state gold stater that I've considered doing something with but for now it's just in my tray.  I rarely move my tray's so I'm not really concerned.   Beyond putting it in a flip I'm not sure what you'd use but I'm sure someone will bring forth a solution.

;) Maybe I will post a picture..

The problem is I can't even fit a flip in..my tray's larger squares are about 35mm or less than 1.5inches (the coin is about 27mm and thick) .. the smallest Mylar Flips I found were 2 by 2 inches.. :-\

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 11:59:47 am »
I store my main collection (non-ancients) in 2 x 2 paper envelopes that have a "built in" protective lining.  Earlier purchases are in envelopes with a 2 x 2 cotton pouch.  Obviously it prevents you from displaying the coin openly, but offers good protection for surfaces if that is a major concern.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 05:59:22 pm »
Wear from lateral motion - cabinet rub - can be a thing.  But only if your tray is moving a lot.  Also, to prevent it you need a capsule that is so close to the coin diameter that the coin can't move.  Otherwise you trade motion in tray for motion in capsule.  And capsules are harder than felt-lined trays.

Shawn

PS  We would love to see your coins.

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity