Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Identifying Coin?  (Read 682 times)

Erick G

Help Identifying Coin?
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:18:49 am »
My dad left me a handful of ancient coins that I've been working to identify, but to call me an amateur would be generous!
Can anyone point me in the right direction with this coin?
An owl with open wings and perhaps Athena?
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Erick

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Help Identifying Coin?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:24:23 am »
Welcome to Forum.  Something like this one:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1371488

Size and weight will help.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:26:12 pm »
Amisus made this type for centuries.  Weights changed quite a bit fro, if I remember correctly, a high of around 5.5 g to a low of about 1.70 g.  Head can face either right or left, and the reverse si described as a rather peculiar appearing owl standing on a shield, the shield seen edge-on.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:06:57 pm »
Here is the variant with the same letters from the British Museum: http://www.s110120695.websitehome.co.uk/PHP/SNG_PHP/04_03_Reply.php?Series=SNGuk&AccessionNo=0901_1084

Regards

Altamura

Erick G

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 08:30:45 am »
Thank you for the help identifying this coin! I'm so impressed with the knowledge (and passion) I've found on this forum.
Cheers!
Erick

All coins are guaranteed for eternity