Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification would be appreciated of Antioch head of Zeus, seated Zeus bronze  (Read 988 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I am just getting yet another Antioch "head of Zeus, seated Zeus" for my collection and would appreciate help, hopefully, as to identification, date and Reference number.

My apologies for the continuing nuisance but I seem to have an obsession with these cheaper Antioch bronzes and really can't justify (or afford) a MacAlee.

After much search on the Internet I found a photograph by Forum Ancient Coins which seems to be the same as my coin. It calls the item in the lower left field a caduceus and gives the date as 39-18 BC with the reference as SNG Cop 87-89.
Just to be sure to be sure I checked this (SNG Cop 87) reference on the Internet and came up with the following:
Wildwinds  gave it as Lydia Blaundos Vespasian BMC69, SNG Cop 87.
Wildwinds  - Phoenicia , Berytos, BMC26, SNG Cop 87.
CNG Auctions XII - Antiochia, Volusian, AE23, SNG Cop 87.
Wildwinds - Aizanis Claudius BMC 79-82, SNG Cop 87-88
Coinproject - Egypt Ptolemy II Tetradrachm, Svoronos 368, SNG Cop 87.
Mpo.nl (a Dutch Auction house – I think) Antonius Pius AE33 BMC Cyprus42, SNG Cop 87.
Rosenblum Coins - Phrygia Aizanis AE19, BMC 79, SNG Cop 87.

At this stage I decided to call on my mates in the Forum for help.

It is in reasonable condition, is AE 23, 12 grams, and seems to be the standard ANTIOXE:Greek_Omega:N METPO:Greek_Pi_3::Greek_Lambda:E:Greek_Omega::GreeK_Sigma: AYTONOMOY (or thereabouts) type. The character in the left field is said to be a caduceus (?) and (as usual) I can’t make out the date in the exergue. I am hoping for reference numbers (other than SNG Cop 87) and a date.
Any help would be most appreciated.

All the best,
Col

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I am just getting yet another Antioch "head of Zeus, seated Zeus" for my collection and would appreciate help, hopefully, as to identification, date and Reference number.

My apologies for the continuing nuisance but I seem to have an obsession with these cheaper Antioch bronzes and really can't justify (or afford) a MacAlee.

After much search on the Internet I found a photograph by Forum Ancient Coins which seems to be the same as my coin. It calls the item in the lower left field a caduceus and gives the date as 39-18 BC with the reference as SNG Cop 87-89.
Just to be sure to be sure I checked this (SNG Cop 87) reference on the Internet and came up with the following:
Wildwinds  gave it as Lydia Blaundos Vespasian BMC69, SNG Cop 87.
Wildwinds  - Phoenicia , Berytos, BMC26, SNG Cop 87.
CNG Auctions XII - Antiochia, Volusian, AE23, SNG Cop 87.
Wildwinds - Aizanis Claudius BMC 79-82, SNG Cop 87-88
Coinproject - Egypt Ptolemy II Tetradrachm, Svoronos 368, SNG Cop 87.
Mpo.nl (a Dutch Auction house – I think) Antonius Pius AE33 BMC Cyprus42, SNG Cop 87.
Rosenblum Coins - Phrygia Aizanis AE19, BMC 79, SNG Cop 87.

At this stage I decided to call on my mates in the Forum for help.

It is in reasonable condition, is AE 23, 12 grams, and seems to be the standard ANTIOXEON METROPLEWS AYTONOMOY (or thereabouts) type. The character in the left field is said to be a caduceus (?) and (as usual) I can’t make out the date in the exergue. I am hoping for reference numbers (other than SNG Cop 87) and a date.
Any help would be most appreciated.

All the best,
Col

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

McAlee lists winged caduceus for years:

19, 20 & 21 Caesarean Era ( 31 - 28 BC)

#67(b), 68(c) & 70(d).

Pekka K

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
Lovely coin Col+++

Cheers Kim

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi Pekka K and Kim,

Thanks for the replies.

Pekka K, with your information (particularly re the dates) I think that I am able to identify it right down to the date. I found a photo on the 'net of McAlee 70c which, although has an Isis headdress in the left field, is apparently also dated year 21. I had seen the photo before but was concentrating on the caduceus rather than the date. The slanted style of the "A" has me fooled but the date seems to be exactly (?) like mine, so - year 21 - yeaa!

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated,
All the best,
Col

All coins are guaranteed for eternity