Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aurelius OTD  (Read 648 times)

Offline traveler

• Consul
Aurelius OTD
« on: February 05, 2017, 10:24:00 pm »
Hello all,

Been some time, I haven't been able to take new photos because my tripod broke. Work has been terribly busy too.

Here's a new denarius which arrived recently. RIC III 367. Rome mint, 176-177 CE, 2.74. 18mm. Die axis 11h. Obverse: M ANTONINVS AVG GERM SARM, Laureate Head right. Reverse: TRP XXXI IMP VIII COS III PP, DE SARM in exergue.

The coin is porous but I picked it up all the same since the DE SARM version seems to be scarcer than the DE GERM

In 169 CE the Marcomanni and Quadi crossed the Danube, penetrated the intervening provinces, and invaded Italy. Lucius Verus died soon after the start of the war which left Aurelius as the sole emperor. The culmination of their onslaught was a siege of Aquileia. This was the first invasion of Italy since the late second century BCE, when the Cimbri and Teutones had been separately crushed by Marius. After a rapid mobilization of forces Aurelius turned north and began his counterattacks against the barbarians. On 23 Nov. 176 CE he held the triumph over Germans and Sarmati. Raetia and Noricum became Roman provinces.

The victory was celebrated with an issue of coins in all three metals in 176 and 177, although the bulk was struck in 177. There are other denarii believed to subtly allude to the conflict, such as a Mercury reverse which refers to the Rain Miracle.

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
Re: Aurelius OTD
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 03:21:05 am »
Very nice!

Offline traveler

• Consul
Re: Aurelius OTD
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:34:24 am »
Thanks for the kind words Randy