Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Numismatic reference citation format  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Numismatic reference citation format
« on: February 05, 2017, 08:37:47 am »
What citation format does numismatic writing typically use?  APA styling appears to be common in much of the humanities but I am curious what the generally preferred system is for numismatics.

Thanks
Kevin

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Numismatic reference citation format
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 09:15:26 am »
I suggest Chicago or Harvard.  I hate APA!

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:06:33 pm »
I think the ultimate answer depends on what you are doing with the paper.  If it's being submitted to a journal, the individual journal may have specific citation style requirements.  If for Univerity, the school may have requirements. Etc.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 03:14:42 pm »
That's a good point.  But I doubt you'll ever see APA used for something to do with history, classics or numismatics.  If you use Chicago now (assuming you haven't found a publisher) it is easy enough to switch to Harvard if you have to.

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »
I haven't done anything on numismatics, but every journal for which I've written has used some variant of Chicago style; it's very unlikely you'll see APA.  Every journal I know of will have a 'instructions for authors' page on their website to give the specifics they want.
Best,
Larry

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:40:35 pm »
According to http://admin.numismatics.org/wp-content/uploads/ANS-Author-Guidelines-2015.pdf , "The ANS largely follows The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed. (CMS), and enforces American English spelling."

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 10:38:57 pm »
Thanks, all.  Sounds like Chicago style is the way to go.  I am not writing a paper, just playing with a website (I do my paper writing in the sciences).  My thinking, though, is that if you are going to do something, it should be done correctly from the start.
All the best,
Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity