Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clipped AR Michael VII Miliaresion DOC 7b?  (Read 822 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Clipped AR Michael VII Miliaresion DOC 7b?
« on: January 28, 2017, 05:29:12 pm »
I purchased an interesting Byzantine clipped AR  miliaresion a year ago. It measures approximately 22.52 x 15.88 mm.  It weighs .8 g.  It is slightly concave.  On the obverse. there is the Virgin Mary nimbate standing facing on a rectangular footstool wearing a tunic.  It appears to have been doubled struck.  On the reverse, there is a bearded standing emperor wearing military dress and crown; in his right hand is a long cross and his left hand rests on a sword in a sheath.  There is a dot below the emperor's right elbow.  To the left of the emperor I read   :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>: :Greek_Mu:X :A: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Lambda:

The flip reads Michael VII AR 1/2 ? miliaresion The Virgin Mary  Orans standing emperor standing S-1873

I believe that it is a clipped  Michael VII miliaresion DOC 7b.  What do you think?

Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Clipped AR Michael VII Miliaresion DOC 7b?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:16:30 am »
No comments?! Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Vladislav D

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 10:32:43 pm »
I think Alexius I Comnenus  SBCV 1897
Regards ,
Vlad .

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:35:50 am »
I think the last three letters

:Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Lambda:

of Michael, are clearly visible

tk

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 06:15:29 am »
I do agree 100% that it is a coin of Michael VII - it matches quite nicely with the illustration of DOC 7b with the dot under the emperor's right elbow.  I am most interested in the seller's attribution of it as a 1/2 miliaresion and whether that appellation comes from it being clipped?

Pogh_poor

All coins are guaranteed for eternity