Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "exagium solidus" weights  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Warren

• Praetorian
"exagium solidus" weights
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »
I have seem quite a few "exagium solidus" weights offered for sale. Roma has one
[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

However, none of them weigh anywhere near the correct weight for a solidus. Solidi weigh c. 4.45 grams when fresh and this particular weight is as heavy as most at 4.16 grams. So, why are they attributed as solidus weights?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: "exagium solidus" weights
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 02:37:11 pm »
Presumably the weights are not the actual full weight of a solidus but rather the minimum weight for a coin to be accepted as a solidus in the market place.  When the Roman government collected taxes, however, it accepted solidi not as coins but only as bullion at weight--they were evidently willing to let the consumer get short weighted but not themselves.

Offline Warren

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
The term "exagium solidus" is actually a legend on the reverse of some of these pieces. I searched acsearch and found some. So it is an ancient term used on those pieces.  But, they are often light weight, sometimes very light. Surely 3.66 grams, or even 4.0 grams, is too light to be considered acceptable as a solidus.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:18:19 pm »
When the Roman government collected taxes, however, it accepted solidi not as coins but only as bullion at weight--they were evidently willing to let the consumer get short weighted but not themselves.

I'm not questioning your statement, but what is your authority for it?
Does Hendy talk about this?
I also note that in fact most solidi we see in the market seem to be fairly close to full weight, at least up to the 10th century, so the point of these low weight exagium pieces is not clear (to me at least).

Ross G.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity