Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Terracotta oil lamp depicting bearded mans head  (Read 5822 times)

victor s2

Terracotta oil lamp depicting bearded mans head
« on: January 20, 2017, 04:54:39 am »
Hello guys,
I would like to kindly ask if you could help me to identify this terracotta lamp. It has raised dot pattern and bearded mans head.
There are some late roman lamps which have similar shape but I tried my best to find similar lamp with the face but could not find any. Length of this lamp is 12cm.
I suspect that it depicts God Bacchus/ Silenus but I am not sure.  It can also be a work of 19th century craftsman.
Thank you in advance

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Terracotta oil lamp depicting bearded mans head
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 05:56:19 pm »
I think that the head is certainly meant to be Silenus.

I cannot comment on the age or authenticity.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity