Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Detailed Cleaning tips?  (Read 2508 times)

Offline peterpil19

• Caesar
    • Ancient Coin Traders
Detailed Cleaning tips?
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:10:13 pm »
Hi,

Anyone have tips on cleaning in the hard to reach places (lettering in particular)?

My toothpicks split very quickly and not fine enough to clean in between lettering...

That's the only roadblock I've hit so far since starting to clean some of my uncleaned coins.

If this has been covered elsewhere and I have not been able find it then please feel free to simply point me towards a prior post.

Peter

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Detailed Cleaning tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:34:48 am »
Some people use needles (e.g. in a pin vise), heads of syringes, something like that.
Andreas Reich

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:32:27 pm »
Some people use needles (e.g. in a pin vise), heads of syringes, something like that.

If you are going to use metal (needles or scalpel), it should be under magnification.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Severusalex

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:51:43 pm »
If you're going to be cleaning in those areas you should use a microscope with very good lighting or at the very least a magnifying lamp.

I use dental instruments to clean dirt from the faces of coins, you want to keep a very sharp edge, so I would recommend also using a whetstone to be constantly sharpening the tip on your tool.

Hope that helps!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 11:48:52 am »
If the stuff you are cleaning out is soft, then bamboo skewers might work as they are a bit tougher than toothpicks.

For harder stuff, the advice from the rest of the guys (light, magnification and sharpened metal) is great.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity