Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Jewish Symbols Question  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Lorenz

• Praetorian
Ancient Jewish Symbols Question
« on: January 17, 2017, 02:36:53 am »
Hello,

I would like to know if ancient Jewish used the symbols of Ancient Greek in artifacts ?

e.g : The symbol of owl refer in it`s origin to Athena, the virgin goddess of wisdom .

All opinions are welcomed .
Down 2 Earth

Offline Lorenz

• Praetorian
Re: Ancient Jewish Symbols Question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:51:20 am »

You can see a menorah symbol , here an example :

Down 2 Earth

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:41:55 pm »
Hi there ,
On the example you posted , I would not think , the Menorah was meant to be a part of it.

A huge spiritual symbol , just can not be engraved like this.
I think someone engraved it  , but it is  not part of the statue.

Maybe other members see something else.

Pleasure to chat with you.
Sam Mansourati

Offline Lorenz

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:58:53 am »
Hello,

May be you are right !

I hope it`s not a fake trial converting an ancient owl of Athena to refer as ancient Jewish Menorah statue !! .

Looking for more ideas ....

It`s my owner to chat with you too .

Thank you very much

Down 2 Earth

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:08:07 am »
Very interesting Lorenz.  Do you know what this piece dates too?

Ancient Jewish Levitical law states that owls were detestable (unclean) and not to be eaten. From what I understand, Jews in ancients times would be well aware of what owls represented to their god and wouldn't have engraved a menorah on this statue. I think to do so would have been considered an abomination.

Pure conjecture, but maybe a person of Jewish heritage in modern times owned this piece and engraved it. Modern day Jews (Christians too) aren't likely as knowledgeable about the ancient scriptures and probably aren't as strict in following them either.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 11:42:45 am »
Again, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this does not appear to be an ancient owl.  It is certainly not an ancient Greek item.  This is a realistic portrayal of an owl whereas the ancient Greeks used a much more stylized design with large eyes, etc.

Roman bronze owls are quite rare but the few I can find images of look nothing like this one in style.

On the other hand it looks modern in style.

This is not to condemn it as a fake for certain but before accepting that it might be real it would be important to find a documented genuine original.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity