Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need Help to ID Byzantine postal lead with full legend  (Read 855 times)

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
Need Help to ID Byzantine postal lead with full legend
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:18:42 am »
Dear Board;
Need Help to ID Byzantine postal lead with full legend:Pb 2omm-5,4g with full very clear legend
I appreciate all help
Regards

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Need Help to ID Byzantine postal lead with full legend
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:55:55 pm »
Hi,
Obv. and rev. are reversed. Legend is a 12-syllable verse that lets the seal, belonging to a person named John, speak:

Obv:
+ΓPA
Φ, CΦPA
ΓIZW

rev.:
KAI
ΛOΓUC
IWAN
NU

So "graph(as) sphragizo / kai logous Ioannou" - "I seal the writings and documents of Ioannes".

Date would be c. 1050-1150 AD.

Regards
Gert

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
Re: Need Help to ID Byzantine postal lead with full legend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 01:39:33 am »
Very Great Thanks Gert for your perfect and very valuable comments +++ +++ +++
All the bests

All coins are guaranteed for eternity