Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is that a Byzantine lead Tesserae or Greek weight?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
Is that a Byzantine lead Tesserae or Greek weight?
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:56:07 am »
Dear Board;
Is that a Byzantine lead Tesserae or Greek weight?Pb 12mm-1,5g[ :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Theta_2:/ :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Pi_2:]
I appreciate all help
Regards

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: Is that a Byzantine lead Tesserae or Greek weight?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:54:53 pm »
Kappa and theta would be the number of 29, and I can't think of a way that would make sense for a weight. However, I am not sure that horizontal bar means 'number' in Byzantine times, as it certainly did in Roman times. A bar like that means a contraction on Byzantine coins (IC XC for 'Iesous Christos' always has a bar on top). Gamma might be 3 for 3 nummi, making this perhaps an emergency issue in lead. There exist small denominations in lead.  But an explanation of the obv. has to be offered to be sure. Perhaps a posting in the BYzantine coin section would be a good idea.
Regards
Gert

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:26:43 am »
Great Thanks Gert +++ fot your very valuable help,I will post this item in the Byzantine Section
Great Thanks again

Offline Mike C2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 05:03:47 am »
After cleaning a little bit the item and taking new photo as below,i can see cross instead of I
Regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity