Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Follis - Constantine I - Cleaning part - 1  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
Follis - Constantine I - Cleaning part - 1
« on: January 13, 2017, 09:08:16 pm »
Hey All,

Here is the first step of the cleaning process of a dirty roman coin that allowed its identification.
3 baths in Citric Acid (not lemon juice) with Distilled water - 3 minutes followed by 1 minute followed by 30 seconds.
In between baths I rubed it with a soft toothbrush.
Than 24 hours in Distilled water with a bit of baking soda just to break the acids.

And voilá:
IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG - SOL INVICTO COMITI - RIC 307 (VI Lugdunum)

Now I don't want to give it more soaks because it has a grey/greenish patina I like very much.

Looks like it's mainly dirt  glued to the coin. What do you guys think? Mechanical cleaning process? Toothpick?

Thanks,

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Follis - Constantine I - Cleaning part - 1
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 09:27:49 pm »
I am no expert on cleaning, but I think you should never use any kind of acid on a copper coin! Maybe the experts can comment here.
At this point, I think only mechanical cleaning should be used.
Good potential for those coins....I think
PeteB

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:18:46 am »
Probably the encrustrations have become rather soft, so now is the time to remove them mechanically. With a surgical knife under good magnification, it will look as if you are mining, but the result will be there, if you are patient.

Good luck!

Frans

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 06:50:35 am »
I am no expert on cleaning, but I think you should never use any kind of acid on a copper coin! Maybe the experts can comment here.
At this point, I think only mechanical cleaning should be used.
Good potential for those coins....I think
PeteB

Yes Akropolis you are right...I usually dont use acids on copper coins.
But i saw that it had a great patina (not a flaky one), capable of handling a little of acidity ... i just added a very small amount of citric acid to a lot of warm distilled water as it comes in powder and you can dosage the quantities very good...
That way I had a better chance of taking off those incrustations and mud, and the coin still has the beautiful patina. But each case is a case and the majority of the copper coins have a patina that cant handle the acids...

Thanks for your input!

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 06:55:06 am »
Probably the encrustrations have become rather soft, so now is the time to remove them mechanically. With a surgical knife under good magnification, it will look as if you are mining, but the result will be there, if you are patient.

Good luck!

Frans

Thank you Frans... I'll do that...Should I keep the coin damp or dry while mechanically cleaning it??? I have seen people cleaning coins and doing it both ways.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:42:04 am »
You can mechanically clean wet or dry.  Dry is easier and is what I start with and stick to unless there is a reason to wet - like helps highlight the dirt, or helps prevent damaging the patina by acting as a lubricant. 

The secrets are magnification, sharp scalpel, right angle and steady hand.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 07:20:14 pm »
Sorry its been so long...

But here is the end result. Hope you like it as I do!!!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 08:53:48 pm »
It looks great.  Can you not remove the spot on the cheek and in the field before the nose?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity