Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Severus Emesa denarius orthographic error  (Read 813 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Severus Emesa denarius orthographic error
« on: January 12, 2017, 03:41:26 pm »
Hi,

Whilst thinking about slimming down my collection I have to reprogramme my head to stop buying coins that attract my interest. I have always been tempted by orthographic errors and that is why I purchased this Severan denarius from Emesa. The reverse legend being cut as MIATER VICT (A unbarred intstead of an N) just pulled me in. Then I noticed that the reverse legend/type is not noted in BMC nor RIC and I therefore assume it is a rather scarce type, correctly spelled or otherwise.

Has anyone else encountered this rather distinctive reverse die?

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Severus Emesa denarius orthographic error
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 04:03:24 pm »
With correct MINER VICT legend: RSC 327e, G.R. Arnold coll. I myself have two such denarii, one with two dots after VICT, the other with one dot after VICT.

The error on your coin is mystifying, however. Why ΛT in place of the correct N, in the middle of the word MINE - R?
Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 04:11:14 pm »
Hi,

Thank-you Curtis. I forget that RSC does include additional coins and notes to those listed in major sources and is a reasonable source in its own right.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:08:20 am »
Ah so that's where this one went.....

I have the same reverse type for COS I

a VICT .. possibly the same as mentioned by Curtis

and this scrappy one

Martin

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:30 am »
"a VICT .. possibly the same as mentioned by Curtis"

I suppose for sake of completeness we should show a one dot model.  It may just be me but it seems that there are more minor variations of Minerva types for this mint than many of the more common reverses.  After a while it starts to seem pointless to ask why this mint did anything.  They seem to have forgotten to read the Roman coin rule book.  It does make some nice things for us to seek, though.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity