Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I think I found a Galla Placidia  (Read 979 times)

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
I think I found a Galla Placidia
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:01:36 am »
I think I have IDed this correctly but I want to be doubly sure.  I tried researching galla placidia and her coins seem fairly rare. Is that right? Any info would be much appreciated

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: I think I found a Galla Placidia
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:40:58 am »
Did you upload the right pictures  ???

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:55:49 am »
 Never mind it is Gatian.  I saw the DNG on the obverse and got excited.  But it is DNGRA.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:10:49 am »
Even without any letters the bust will still tell you some things.  Women never wore this sort of diadem with reverse ties so it must be a male and an Emperor (as their junior caesars were portrayed bare-headed).

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jacob D

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:23:51 pm »
Thanks for all the info.  I am about as new to this as can be so I expect go be wrong most of the time. ( thats why I joind a forum).

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:37:33 pm »
It's perfectly normal.  I think we have all done this at one time or another.  One of my first mistakes was thinking a Marcus Aurelius was Antonia.  All I could see of the legend was ANTONI so I assumed it was Antonia!  You will very quickly learn what to look for if you keep at it!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity