Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hidden Gems in the Member's Gallery  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
Hidden Gems in the Member's Gallery
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:29 am »
This is a thread to share coins in the Members Gallery that have somehow managed to escape the attention of other collectors. Anyone who spends time searching the gallery will know there are many wonderful coins, and even entire collections, that deserve more views and appreciation.  If you find a coin that you think fits into this category, bring it into the light by posting a link here! Please don't link your own coins.

Offline Pharsalos

• Consul
Re: Hidden Gems in the Member's Gallery
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 07:55:47 am »
I think this is a prime example. Schatz has a world class collection of Parthian coins, all beautifully photographed and carefully described. You can learn a lot just browsing a few entries. Her collection is absolutely littered with magnificent coins. I can't believe this stunning drachm only has 14 views (half of which are me coming back to have another look):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-120813

Offline Gil-galad

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Whitesheet
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:51:34 pm »
I'm not real familiar with the personal galleries here, other than my own. Because I've been putting a lot of work into it. I have just started looking at other galleries. Some of them have coins that will leave you in awe!!

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:40:18 pm »
a great idea for a thread, and one i've tried to launch myself a couple of times. i hope it takes off this time as there really are some spectacular coins buried in our galleries.

the coin Pharsalos showcased is a very good start. while i have never paid much attention to the coins of Parthia, this one from Shatz's gallery is truly stunning!

right now i'd like to shine some light on a Babylonian Alexander from n.igma's collection. n. has many wonderful pieces in his collection, with this one in particular being historically interesting and aesthetically beautiful...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-117115

well done mr. igma,
~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:35:09 am »
here is another hidden gem from the Member's Gallery...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-53061

Potator has so many beautiful coins in his gallery that it is hard to choose one, but this coin has so much going for it. it is rare and in fantastic condition, with a wonderful portrait of a harder to acquire emperor, but it is the unusual reverse which really grabs my attention. just a complete joy to stare at!

~ Peter

All coins are guaranteed for eternity