Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AEMILIANUS - Should I clean some more?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
AEMILIANUS - Should I clean some more?
« on: January 11, 2017, 07:57:33 pm »
Hi all,

Just received a green and brown crusty roman coin. After a soak of 1 day in demineralized water I saw some silver shine from under.
So I gave it a bath in Acitric Acid with demineralized water.

And there emerged an ANTONINIANVS - Obverse: IMP CAES AEMILIANVS PF AVG - Reverse: IOVI CONSERVAT

Its really a beauty but still has those brown and green spots...What do you think? Should I clean those or leave the coin has it is?
How could I remove those green/brown spots without damage to the coin?

Thankx,

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: AEMILIANUS - Should I clean some more?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »
My two cents worth: quit while you are ahead. Yes, a bit more soaking in concentrated lemon juice would remove some more, but not without risk.
Heck, a bit of soil and corrosion is kind of a badge of authenticity. :-)
Nice coin. Better than average silver....I think.
PeteB

Offline Batista

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 05:27:17 am »
My two cents worth: quit while you are ahead. Yes, a bit more soaking in concentrated lemon juice would remove some more, but not without risk.
Heck, a bit of soil and corrosion is kind of a badge of authenticity. :-)
Nice coin. Better than average silver....I think.
PeteB

Thank you for your opinion Akropolis  +++... You are right...I'm leaving the coin like it is and not cleaning it any further.
I'm afraid that removing those brown spots will result in pitting on the coin surface.
I just hope that the brown/green patchs don't grow in time...

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 08:38:14 am »
You can always treat them if they get worse but I agree with leaving it as it is.

By 253 AD the silver content has dropped quite a bit and so acid cleaning can end up doing a bit of damage/pitting unlike with earlier higher-silver coins.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity