Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very Fine Blade or Drill? Neolithic  (Read 1695 times)

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Very Fine Blade or Drill? Neolithic
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:57 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is a small piece of what I believe is neolithic chert.  I have been looking on-line for references, and have not found anything quite like it.  I understand the basic idea of working with this material, but I don't understand how they could make something so delicate with out breaking it ( or maybe they did break it!). Most of the flaked chert from this area is thought to be from agricultural tools, but occasionally spear points and broken blades have also been found.  Any ideas on what this was used for and how it was made would be appreciated.  Thanks, V-drome

BCC NA3
Neolithic Period
blade or drill?
25mm.x8mm.x3mm
1.03gm.
Delicate with fine edging, spiral flutes,
which I think are called "diagonal edge to
edge percussion flaking", semi-oval profile.
Surface find from an area of uplifted alluvial
deposits, 4Km SE of Caesarea Maritima, 1972.

(click for larger pic)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Very Fine Blade or Drill? Neolithic
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:59:36 pm »
I am not an expert by any means, but the size, general shape and delicacy are entirely consistent with a late mesolithic or neolithic microlith blade.  I have never seen the spiral though.  But if you google microlith blade you might find a closer parallel.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline v-drome

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Very Fine Blade or Drill? Neolithic
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 12:23:15 am »
Thank you, Shawn.  I found some very interesting articles.  I will be adding some more of these to my gallery, soon.

Best regards, Jimi

All coins are guaranteed for eternity