Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identification would be appreciated of Antioch head of Zeus, seated Zeus bronze  (Read 2085 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi All,

I am just getting yet another Antioch "head of Zeus, seated Zeus" for my collection and would appreciate help, hopefully, as to identification, date and Reference number.

My apologies for the continuing nuisance but I seem to have an obsession with these cheaper Antioch bronzes but really can't justify (or afford) a MacAlee.

It is in low to reasonable condition and seems to be the standard ANTIOXEWN THS METROPOLEWS (or thereabouts) type. There is a character that I can't identify in the left field and what is left of the date in the exergue is illegible (to me). It looks fairly similar to BMC23 but this one has a different identifier. I am hoping for reference numbers and a date.

With my only reference still being Wildwinds and the Internet (having trouble describing the character in the left field) I can’t find anything to narrow it down.

Any help would be most appreciated.

All the best,
Col

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Most likely McAlee 38, where is listed 4 different
field marks: a) Inverted anchor, b) Cornucopia,
c) Palm branch in urn, d) Star.
Dated year 13 Pompeian Era (54/53 BC).

Pekka K

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi Pekka K,

I think that I have a virus called "Antioch head of Zeus/seated Zeus bronze disease". I can't stop adding any that I can afford.

You certainly were quick. I don't know what time it is over there but it is about 10.00 PM over here in Oz.

I think that you have it pat.

With your information I found someone else who says the same. CNG had one at the link [LINK TO COMMERCIAL COIN WEBSITE REMOVED BY ADMIN].

It seems to be exactly the same - I'm not sure of the character - it would probably have to be the inverted anchor (?)

Thank you much for your help. Once again, it is very much appreciated.  

All the very best,
Col

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
I think this field mark is rather an E or a monogram based on an E.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi Altamura,

Thank you for the information.

But now I'm getting really confused.

I think that mine looks like an "E" with a diagonal rising from the left corner. I think that the CNG one looks like a   :Greek_Pi_2: with a similar diagonal and I think that yours looks like an  :Greek_Xi: with a "Y" mixed in (probably an "E" and a "Y" as they state).

Just to make things interesting, the three coins seem to have different styles to the seated Zeus figure.

It is an interesting and (to me) a confusing but interesting area.

Your help is much appreciated.

All the best,
Col

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
In my eyes the Variant of an EY monogram is the most probable. For this we have the specimen in BMC page 153 number 15 (see link above).
On your coin the right branch on the E is perhaps still hidden under the dirt.

On the coin from my acsearch link (which is from CNG as well) it could perhaps be a Xi as basis for the monogram, but we don't have that documented somewhere.

The (first) coin from CNG with the Gamma is certainly not corresponding to your's.

So it is now up to you to choose the appropriate interpretation of your coin  :) .

Regards

Altamura

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi again Altamura,

I think that you are probably right.

When I get the coin I will try a little judicious cleaning and report back.

All the best,
Col

All coins are guaranteed for eternity