Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marcus Aurelius denarius obverse and bust variant  (Read 898 times)

Offline timka

• Caesar
Marcus Aurelius denarius obverse and bust variant
« on: December 30, 2016, 01:37:21 pm »
Hi!

Sharing with you a denarius  of Marcus Aurelius with legend and bust variants. Originally it was a denarius of a very fine style, may be it was even minted from aureus dies... unfortunately the time took its toll, it's very worn out unfortunately... and appeared to be a very rare variety.

Both Cohen and RIC  recorded the type with shorter obverse legend where GERM was missing. As you can see GERM is present on my coin on obverse. Cuirassed bust as on my coin is not in RIC too. So this very type with such obverse and cuirassed bust seems to be unrecorded.

RSC 322 has the citing of Reka Devnia specimen (322a) with cuirassed bust, but with shorter legend (w/o GERM). Theoretically, it could be a mistake in RD, so that they could misread the obverse legend, and it could be a specimen as my coin. But we will never know the truth most probably.

ob. M ANTONINVS AVG GERM TR P XXIX - laur cuirassed bust right
rev. IMP VII COS III -  Bonus Eventus/Genius standing left with patera and corn ears

19mm - 3,01g - 7h

RIC (-), Cohen (-), RCS 322b (bust var)

Thank you for your time! ...and happy New Year!

Z.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Marcus Aurelius denarius obverse and bust variant
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 05:55:02 pm »
Reka Devnia report describes an obv. like yours, GERM TR P XXIX cuirassed, coupled with IMP VII COS III Felicitas standing rev., so it is not surprising to find such an obverse combined with the Bonus Eventus rev. too.

Too bad IMP VI[I ] on rev. is not a little clearer. But the spacing seems to eliminate the only other possible reading, IMP VI[II].

I don't think your coin was struck from aureus dies, which by the time of Marcus had deviated from denarius dies, being a little broaded and in higher relief than denarius dies, and often using different bust types. Gold and silver quinarii continued to be struck from the same dies, but I don't think I know of any denarii struck from aureus dies after the first year of Hadrian's reign. It would have been physically possible, but seems never to have happened, or at any rate only very exceptionally.

Curtis Clay

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 04:38:05 pm »

I don't think your coin was struck from aureus dies, which by the time of Marcus had deviated from denarius dies, being a little broaded and in higher relief than denarius dies, and often using different bust types. Gold and silver quinarii continued to be struck from the same dies, but I don't think I know of any denarii struck from aureus dies after the first year of Hadrian's reign. It would have been physically possible, but seems never to have happened, or at any rate only very exceptionally.

What would you say about this Commodus denarius from Lanz? It stands out from other Commodus denarii of this period - I have not found any fancy busts on Commodus denarii  for the period TR P VI IMP IIII until TR P VIII IMP VI (about 3-4 years). However, most of aurei were printed with fancy busts during this period.  So this one from TR P VI IMP IIII COS III PP/Walking Mars is very distinctive with its very nice appearance of cuirassed bust in high relief.  Sorry I have now only ob. pic saved from Lanz...I can do pictures of both sides when at home if interested.

The weight is 3,31 g - and it's 18mm, and it's much smaller than it could be, as you can see - the edges of the die could be cut to fit with denarius standard...so, could this be a candidate for aureus dies given its distinctive bust style, and its dimensions?

RIC 42 (bust variant)

Offline Ronald

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:57 am »
great coin
I found another one +++

The Roman Empire
Marcus Aurelius augustus, 161 – 180
Denarius 174-175, AR 3.21 g. Laureate and cuirassed bust r. Rev. Genius standing facing holding patera and corn ears.
 C 322 var. RIC 311 var. Lightly toned and extremely fine

Offline timka

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:37:21 am »
Quote from: imperator on January 03, 2017, 09:25:57 am
great coin
I found another one +++

The Roman Empire
Marcus Aurelius augustus, 161 – 180
Denarius 174-175, AR 3.21 g. Laureate and cuirassed bust r. Rev. Genius standing facing holding patera and corn ears.
 C 322 var. RIC 311 var. Lightly toned and extremely fine

Oh..thank you for posting it!..it's gorgeous!...btw, this and my coin share ob. and rev. dies.

could you please let me know  where you find it? acsearch?

Offline Ronald

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »

All coins are guaranteed for eternity