Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Marvin Tameanko  (Read 2526 times)

collectorx

Marvin Tameanko
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:03:29 am »
Sad news from Canada as Marvin Tameanko passed away on Friday December 16.

Many will know him due to his vast output of articles in various numismatic publications such as The Numismatist, Coin News, The Celator and the Classical & Medieval Numismatic Society (CMNS) Journal. He was Professor Emeritus in Architecture at Ryerson University in Toronto and hence it's fitting that he authored Monumental Coins which was an expression of his interest in architectural themes on ancient coin reverses.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Marvin Tameanko
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 06:38:47 am »
Sorry to hear he is gone. He certainly did write a lot of excellent articles. His Monumental Coins was a joy to read and I still refer to it for the types. He was a valued resource for classical numismatist community and will be missed.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:48:48 am »
My deep condolences , to his family and to the FORVM.
Sam Mansourati

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:57:05 am »
I never met Prof. Tameanko but I wish that I had.  Here's an link to an article by him.

http://coinproject.com/jan/volume1/issue4/volume1-4-1.html

Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 10:45:07 am »
Indeed sad news.  I am a big fan of his Monumental Coins book and his many articles.  His ability to combine his hobby and is profession was really great.

I only learned that he worked at Ryerson some years after my dad retired from the same university (though different program) and after I moved away from Toronto.  I regret that I never met him.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

collectorx

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 04:13:40 pm »
Just became aware of this Q&A with Marvin from August 2015...
http://blog.kollectbox.com/meet-marvin-tameanko/

It may sound a bit cliche but Marvin's enthusiasm/passion was infectious. We've been rather spoiled in the Toronto metropolitan area to have two knowledgeable & sharing collectors (one being Marvin) of architectural-themed ancient coins. Their discussions at the informal CMNS gatherings we have were ridiculously informative (and made you realize you still have a long way to go :))

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
RIP Marvin Tameanko
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 11:45:46 pm »
With great sadness I have to report the death of a great Canadian numismatist, Marvin Tameanko on Friday December 16. Marvin's vast output of articles in various numismatic publications included the Celator, (British) Coin News and the CMNS Journal (to which he was the most frequent contributor). His articles were not only informative but entertaining. Of course he was also the author of Monumental Coins, celebrating his interest in architectural themes on ancient coin reverses. He was professor emeritus in architecture at Ryerson University.  Always generous with his time and encouragement...he will be missed.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: RIP Marvin Tameanko
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 07:45:08 am »
I met him a couple of times at various ANA shows.
He was an interesting character. A sad loss to all.

Walter Holt
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS