Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID small barbaric imitation. DONE thanks so much!  (Read 877 times)

Offline zoser

• Caesar
ID small barbaric imitation. DONE thanks so much!
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:55:11 am »
AE 9
0,6gr

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: ID small coin, Roman? Indo-Greek?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 04:41:35 pm »
Hard to make out what is going on on the reverse but the bust looks 5th century Roman.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

a

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 05:15:01 am »
Rotate reverse 45 deg counterclockwise - victory dragging captive imitation "SALVS REIPVBLICAE"

Regards,
Expolorer

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 05:17:00 am »
Thanks Shawn, I have added 4 more pictures from the reverse just in case it helps

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:19:39 am »
Hi explore, I was just adding some more picture when you answered the post.

Do you mean that coin is a Roman coin or an imitation?

King regards

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 09:57:35 am »
Good eyes Explorer!  That is definitely it.  The 2nd new picture makes it clear.

Zoser, the coin is a contemporary (ancient) imitation of the SALVS REIPVBLICAE type, which was struck 388 to 408.  Your imitation is therefore likely from the first couple of decades of the 5th century.

Yours is truly barbaric in style - very stylized image and nonsense inscription - though that does mot mean it was made by any "barbarian" tribes.  Just that the counterfeiters made a fairly crude copy and were likely illiterate.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 10:56:07 am »
Good eyes Explorer!  That is definitely it.  The 2nd new picture makes it clear.

Zoser, the coin is a contemporary (ancient) imitation of the SALVS REIPVBLICAE type, which was struck 388 to 408.  Your imitation is therefore likely from the first couple of decades of the 5th century.

Yours is truly barbaric in style - very stylized image and nonsense inscription - though that does mot mean it was made by any "barbarian" tribes.  Just that the counterfeiters made a fairly crude copy and were likely illiterate.

Shawn

Thanks!
Does anyone has a link of the the coin which is tried to be imitated?, I am sorry but as I am not really into Roman coins I have no idea about.

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:10:48 am »
I have found a link that has helped me to understand about barbaric imitation, just in case someone is interested.

http://esty.ancients.info/imit/imitRICIX.html

All coins are guaranteed for eternity