Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Numismatist Iasus article  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Numismatist Iasus article
« on: December 13, 2016, 12:31:41 pm »
Hi folks,

Yesterday, I received my December 2016 issue of the ANA's "The Numismatist" magazine. A quick glance today revealed an article written by Mark Fox. It deals with small bronze coinage of Caria, Iasus. It looked interesting, so I read it immediately. It is an excellent article. It reads like a mystery novel, where Mark and others had to play the role of detectives. Congratulations to Mark!

Regarding that article, I have 2 points to make:

First, Mark and other researchers initially thought that the first letter of the reverse legend was an "N", which led them in the wrong direction. Several months later, they realized that the first letter is actually an "I". The full reverse legend reads:  :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Alpha: :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_Iota:. They eventually realized that the issuing city is Iasus. Being someone who owns an example of an Iasus coin, I was intriguied. I am also wondering why Mark and the other researchers didn't figure it out sooner. I made the connection right away, mainly because I thought of my own Iasus example.

Here are my Greek Caria coins (including my Iasus example):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/g_caria.htm

My example has only "IA" for the reverse legend.

Second, on page 78 of the article, there is a photo of an AE Iasus coin. It depicts a shrimp on the reverse. Below that shrimp, there is what Mark describes as "an unidentified object". To me, it is obvious that it is some sort of marine life. It ties in with the sea reference (the shrimp). It may be a dolphin or a fish. It may even be an eel. Being someone of 100% Italian descent (my maternal grandparents came from the Naples area), I know that some Italian people (especially ones from the Campania region) eat eels for Christmas. When I was younger, my relatives used to make them for Christams. I didn't eat them, but many of my relatives did. It makes sense that it may be an eel. In this scenario, the reverse of that coin would depict 2 different types of seafood. After all, in the article, Mark makes a reference to an ancient quote by Archestratus describing "shrimp in the market". He also makes a reference to an ancient quote by Strabo describing how people from Iasus "gain most of their livelihood from the sea."

The "unidentified object" also looks like the snake that appears on some of the artwork associated with Rush's "Snakes and Arrows" album. That is what made me think of the eels that my relatives used to eat for Christmas when I was younger.

Meepzorp

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
Re: Numismatist Iasus article
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 07:45:40 pm »
I believe that this was the original thread that may have prompted our
friend Mark to write this article:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=106156.0

I cannot wait to read it, whenever my copy of the Numismatist arrives.

Well done Mark!

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 02:07:25 am »
Thank you Meepzorp and Walter,

You are both too kind.

If I remember right, it was a matter of only a few minutes at most to connect the coins to Iasus once the legend could be read as "ΙΑΣΙ."  But you must understand, the normal ethnic for Iasus is "ΙΑΣΕΩΝ" or some abbreviation thereof (e.g. "ΙΑΣΕ").  Before the new coin types came to light, the substitution of 'Ι' for 'Ε' in the city ethnic was, as far as I could tell, unattested on coinage and the rest of the extant textual record relating to Iasus.  I still find this situation somewhat perplexing, so while I picked up on the Iasian attribution at an early date, there were still plenty of questions that needed ironing out before I could be confident in the attribution.  Even the designs of the new coin types were unlike anything seen before from Iasus.  For other researchers, such as Richard Ashton, Koray Konuk, and Fabrice Delrieux, none of them apparently noticed the "ΙΑΣΙ" inscription on some of the Apollo/nymph bronzes until recently.  It was always assumed that they read "ΙΑΣΕ."  Ironically, in this way, these numismatists were spared some of the difficulty in attributing the type to Iasus, which Ashton had done as early as the year 2000.     

My initial thoughts concerning the identification of the mysterious object beneath the Apollo/shrimp bronze was either a dolphin or the tail of the shrimp.  I believe Kressa supported the latter possibility and that was what I went with until Richard Ashton reviewed the article.  He was certain it was not the shrimp's tail, but was baffled on just what it could be.  By this time, I was running very late in editing the manuscript for publication, so I felt a simple acknowledgement that something strange was present on the coin would have to do.  Even though I had bid and won the coin, I have never been able to study it in hand, because tragically, it was lost in the mail along with two Roman provincials that were very important to me...   

Thank you for posting that link, Walter.  I had intended to write the Iasus article long before, but yes, that particular thread was a deciding factor in when I started.  I am one of several writers who contribute two articles a year to The Numismatist's "Ancients" column.  When the time came in October to begin work on my second piece for 2016, I was at a loss to decide what to write about.  Time was of the essence.  The coinage of Pactye was one possibility, but I had already dealt with the Thracian Chersonese in a past column.  Iasus not only presented new territory for me in that respect, but thanks to the Forvm thread you had started, a lot of my research on Iasus was already written out and explained.  So I decided to go with that subject.     

If you get tired of waiting, Walter, I can send you a PDF copy of the article.  In January, I might upload it to my academia.edu page, after the next issue of The Numismatist débuts.

Merry Christmas!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 12:50:50 am »
Dear Board,

My article on the Iasian bronzes has just been uploaded tonight to my Academia.edu page.  Here is the direct link:   

https://www.academia.edu/30700237/Shrimpy_Bronzes

Happy New Year! 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity