Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: KOINON OF MACEDONIA, which ruler??  (Read 763 times)

Offline zoser

• Caesar
KOINON OF MACEDONIA, which ruler??
« on: December 09, 2016, 10:01:42 am »
AE 19 6,42gr

This is what I can see from the reverse:

:Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Iota:   :Greek_Mu: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Delta:    :Greek_Beta: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_epsilon:  :Greek_Omega: :Greek_Nu:    :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Rho:

On the observe there are some letters too but I am not able to see them

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: KOINON OF MACEDONIA, which ruler??
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 10:25:38 am »
I think the obverse shows Alexander the Great, legend AΛEΞ....

As far as I can see, AMNG records no left-facing portraits of Alexander on the rather scarce small-size coins of this series like yours.
Curtis Clay

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 10:59:29 am »
Ruler? If you mean " who struck the coin," then it is possibly Severus Alexander or Gordian III.
PeteB

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:12:29 am »
From Gordian III I haven´t seen any coin that looks similar, from Severus Alexander I saw this couple which belong to Macedonian Koinon and have something in common:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1905619
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3206440

But noone of them is equal, neither the portrait nor the text on the reverse so I didn´t attribute it to them

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:14:51 am »
I think the obverse shows Alexander the Great, legend AΛEΞ....

As far as I can see, AMNG records no left-facing portraits of Alexander on the rather scarce small-size coins of this series like yours.

Hi Curtislclay, what do you mean by AMNG? do you mean you haven´t seen any coin like this one? is it scarce?

Thanks so much!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:20:40 am »
Die antiken Münzen Nordgriechenlands, an excellent corpus of "northern Greek" coins, but now over 100 years old. A lot of new material has emerged since then.

Still, a new obv. type for this scarce fractional denomination is something special.
Curtis Clay

Offline zoser

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 11:54:34 am »
Got it Curtis Clay, I didn´t know about that book, which I´ll take into account from now.

So so nice to see this is an scarce/rare coin

King regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity