Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A 300 Year Commemoration?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
A 300 Year Commemoration?
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:45 pm »
In Potamikon, we argued that Rome's first coin, which features the forepart of a man-faced bull, was struck in Neapolis to pay troops for the battles that occurred after the Caudine Forks disaster. We chose the date of 320 to 319 based off of others, but provided a rationale based on the meaning of the iconography and the historical accuracy of some of Livy's claims (supported by Oakley's commentary, who wrote the standard reference on these particular books of Livy's work).  

Now I'm researching silver man-faced bulls and when I came upon Rome, I realized that its only other man-faced bull type was struck 19/18 BC, 300 years after the first variety.  I wonder if this was a commemorative piece struck to celebrate one of Rome's most important victories?  As Livy puts it "Hardly any victory that Rome ever won was more noteworthy for the sudden change that it wrought in the circumstances of the Republic".   Even if the events were fictitious, that wouldn't stop Rome from pretending they were not!

Now, how accurate is the 19/18 BC date?  Could it be 20/19? 319 is the year Oakley argues there was no peace between the Romans and Samnites.

First Pic: Rome's first coins.

Second Pic: Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.97 g, 10h). Rome mint; M. Durmius, triumvir monetalis. Struck 19-18 BC. CAESAR AVGVSTVS, bare head left / Man-headed bull standing right, head facing; above, crowning Victory flying right; below, M[ · DVRMIVS] III · VIR. RIC I 319; RSC 432. (CNG, eAuction 271, 54).

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: A 300 Year Commemoration?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 05:30:52 pm »
Hi Nick,

This is an interesting theory. It may turn out to be correct.

However, what about Augustus' other M. Durmius issues with similar themes (where they copy earlier Greek types)? Are they all commemorative issues? Or did Augustus just feel like issuing coins that copied earlier Greek types in ca. 19 B.C.? Why would one M. Durmius issue be a commemorative, and the others aren't?

Here is my Augustus M. Durmius issue (scroll down, fourth coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ar_pt06.htm

That example is one of the first ancient coins I ever purchased. I was collecting ancient coins for less than 6 months when I bought it.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »
Good question.  There's also one with a Hercules obverse, apparently.  

Some have suggested a 3rd century hoard was found and they copied some of the types.  Others have claimed Durmius was celebrating his origins (this has been stated for the Campanian and Lucanian types, by different authorities ).  

But other coins do commemorate different events- there's one with Augustus driving a biga led by elephants to commemorate his victory of 27BC.  And the one with Hercules has on its reverse a Parthian kneeling in submission and returning a standard, lost in 54BC.  Apparently the Hercules is used in reference to that, too, but I'll have to read up on it.  It looks just like the type on the early Roman wolf and twins didrachms.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 11:04:53 am »
It is also interesting that Livy would have been publishing right around this time, and his works were wildly popular, which might have influenced the coin type/ further promoted the propaganda after the civil wars (recall that one of the most predominant characteristics of the mythos of Acheloios is rebirth and renewal).

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 11:41:54 am »
Here are the other types issued by M. Durmius:

1. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Denarius (19mm, 3.95 g, 12h). Rome mint; M. Durmius, moneyer. Struck 19/8 BC. Bare head right / Wild boar standing right, pierced through by a spear, its front legs thrust forward. RIC I 317; RSC 430; BMCRE 61-2 = BMCRR Rome 4567-8; BN 207-11.

2. Augustus, 27 BC-AD 14. Denarius (Silver, 17mm, 3.78 g 7), Rome, M. Durmius, BC 19. CAESAR AVGVSTVS Bare head of Augustus to right. Rev. M DVRMIVS / IIIVIR Lion attacking stag to left. BMC 63. Cohen 431. RIC 318. Lightly toned and with a fine portrait. Minor marks and reverse slightly off center, otherwise, extremely fine.

3. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Denarius (3.81 g, 1h). Rome mint. M. Durmius, moneyer. Struck 19/8 BC. M • DVRMI[V]S • III • VIRHONORI, head of Honos right / AVGVSTVS above, CAESAR in exergue, Augustus driving biga of elephants left, holding laurel branch in right hand and scepter in left. RIC I 311; RSC 427; BMCRE 52-4 = BMCRR Rome 4560-2; BN 191-5. VF, deeply toned, minor porosity, banker’s mark on neck, tiny edge chip.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 11:44:08 am »
More:
\
4. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Denarius (3.78 g, 8h). Rome mint. M. Durmius, moneyer. Struck 19/8 BC. M • DVRMIVS • III • VIR •, diademed bust of young Hercules right, draped in lion skin; club sloped back on right shoulder / CAESARAVGVSTVS • SIGN • RECE •, bare-headed Parthian kneeling on right knee right, extending in right hand a signum, to which is attached a vexillum marked X, and holding out left hand below left knee. RIC I 314; RSC 433b; BMCRE 59 = BMCRR Rome 4565; BN 205. Near EF, toned.

5. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AV Aureus (7.93 g, 12h). Rome mint. M. Durmius, moneyer. Struck 19/8 BC. CAESAR AVGVSTVS, head right, wearing oak wreath / M • DVRMIVS III • VIR, crab holding butterfly in its claws. RIC I 316; Calicó 133; BMCRE 60 = BMCRR Rome 4566; BN 111-2. VF, minor marks.

6. Augustus. 27 BC-AD 14. AR Denarius (3.57 g, 3h). Rome mint. M. Durmius, moneyer. Struck 19/8 BC. Head of Honos right / Slow quadriga right with modius-shaped car in which is a flower. RIC I 313; RSC 429. VF, deeply toned, minor pitting, banker’s mark on neck, reverse struck off center, edge ding.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 11:56:05 am »
And some commentary from CNG:

This splendid coin (lion/stag) is one of the last Roman imperial issues to have a moneyer’s name on its reverse. It reminds us of Augustus’s support for Republican tradition in allowing the names of the triumviri who had charge of the mint to put their names on the coinage. This magistracy was a relatively junior one, but was a stepping stone on the cursus honorum that led to the consulate. Each member of the collegium forming the IIIviri monetalis could choose the types and sign the gold, silver and aes coins for which he was responsible. Thus, not only could the types vary between different collegia, but also from moneyer to moneyer within a collegium. Marcus Durmius, the moneyer here, was in a collegium with P. Petronius Trupilianus and L. Aquilius Florus in c. 19 BC. The main topics of their types were the return of the standards lost to Parthia, the honours of 27 BC, and the so-called “family” types, of which this is one. The reverse is clearly based on the types used at Velia some three hundred years earlier and it seems likely that the Durmii came from that area.
----------------------------------
This coin (Hercules obverse) commemorates the major diplomatic coup of his reign: the recovery of the Roman standards, lost by Crassus at the battle of Carrhae in 54 BC, from the Parthians. The reference to Hercules, like that of Liber in lot 694, is a special mythological allusion to the event, and an ad hoc use of such mythology by Augustus that would be later considered unsuitable and discarded from the canon of his public image.
--------------------
As noted by Sutherland and Carson in RIC (p. 34), the types on the coinage of Durmius concerned a variety of areas: the Parthian campaign, Augustus' honors of 27 BC, various Victories, and 'family types'. With the depiction of elephants and the timing of this issue (elephant biga), there is little doubt that the reverse type, employed on the coinage of all three triumvir monetalis of this year, refers to the honors paid to Augustus following his triumphant return from the east. Although his achievements were more diplomatic than military, they were considerable. The recovery of the standards lost by Crassus at Carrhae was especially important, and thus the military was accorded much glory in Augustus' victories. The obverse is likely a reference to the family of the moneyer of this issue, M. Durmius, but the historical record of this individual or any of his relatives is lacking.
------------------------------------
The reverse type (Man-faced bull) of this rare and interesting coin immediately recalls Greek types of Campania and presumably was intended to proclaim the ethnic origin of the otherwise unknown moneyer Marcus Durmius. While noting the increased diversity in the Roman aristocracy by the date this coin was struck, Gary Farney (Ethnic identity and aristocratic competition in Republican Rome [Cambridge, 2007], p. 211) notes: “Still, one must wonder what Roman noblemen of the traditional aristocracy thought of how the moneyer chose to present his Campanian identity… Campanians were often accused of excessive pride in their origins, being arrogant enough (from the Roman perspective) to continue to dub their magistrates praetores. With this in mind, other Romans might have attributed this issue to Durmius’ innate arrogance, particularly because the coins recall the ‘independent’ history of Campania.”

In addition to the light it sheds on a transforming aristocracy under the early empire, this issue is an excellent demonstration of the acute Roman awareness of Greek numismatic history. Indeed, Suetonius (Aug. 75) hints that Augustus himself might have been a collector of “coins of every device, including old pieces of the kings and foreign money”.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 01:22:16 pm »
Another interesting artifact that links Acheloios to the rebirth of Rome.  Here you see him beside the mother wolf, both beneath (presumably) Roma herself! 

c. 2-3rd century AD, from a museum in Sofia, Bulgaria

Do any members here read Bulgarian?  I'd love to track down the museum records or anything published on this piece.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 05:52:05 pm »
Interesting.  Looks like a mystery cult plaque.  But clearly not one of the better known ones: Mithras, Jupiter Dolichenus or the Danubian Riders/Great Goddess/Epona cult.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 06:12:12 pm »
Nico figured it was Roma because of the imperial eagle on the helmet.  The description might say Athena, at least that's what I gathered from the Bulgarian forum where I found it.

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 06:33:46 pm »
My suggestion is that the answer may lie in the iconography.

Way out of my subject area, but is not the presence of the Victory crowning the MFB  on the Durmius issue indicative of a celebration of victory?

If so, then your proposal that it commemorates the Roman victory 300 years prior is all the more plausible.  Certainly more so in my opinion than the alternative explanation that it is the result of of an expression of the arrogance of Durmius, who surely would have left it at just an MFB sans Victory if it was simply a celebration of his Campanian origins? Otherwise the implication that it might have been a celebration of his victorious Campanian ancestors would likely have been an anathema in Rome.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 06:55:05 pm »
That's an interesting point. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity