Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Judaea Coin ID (Widow's Mite)  (Read 789 times)

Offline Daniel P

• Legionary
Judaea Coin ID (Widow's Mite)
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »
Would anyone be able to ID this coin?
Thanks!

[Edit: Please repost your second coin]

Offline Daniel P

• Legionary
Re: Judaea Coin ID (Widow's Mite)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 04:24:05 pm »
EDIT: My apologies, I didn't realize that the coins should be in different posts. Would a moderator be able to separate them? Thanks again!

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »
Also, you will get much better pictures if you remove them from behind the plastic.

Offline Daniel P

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 04:56:55 pm »
True, and as a world coin collector (been collecting seriously for over half a decade) I'm well aware.

That being said, the first coin is not in plastic, and the second doesn't have much detail as it as. I'll remove it and post another picture though.

Thanks!!

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 05:07:39 pm »
The first coin appears to be a crude style YNTN type of Jannaeus. The second looks like it has a bust (?), which would remove the possibility that it is Hasmonean.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Daniel P

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 05:15:00 pm »
Much appreciated, thank you. Where would I go for further information on the Alexander Jannaeus coin?
Thanks again!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 05:26:00 pm »
Your first coin should be turned 90° clockWise. I think it is Yehochanan, Johannes Hyrcanus I.

Best regards

Offline Daniel P

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 05:29:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Is this the correct orientation?

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:28:34 pm »
Your first coin should be turned 90° clockWise. I think it is Yehochanan, Johannes Hyrcanus I.

Best regards

It is possible this is a coin of Hyrcanus, since the name seems to fit and the letter on the top row at the far left could be a het. However, I am still inclined to believe this is a coin of Jannaeus.

If we were to read the name as יהוחנן, we could interpret the letter :Judean_kaf_1: from the second line to be a kaf for "kohen", but then we would not have enough room to fit all of כהן גדל properly (note that the leftmost letters on the second line are unambiguously דל-). One letter (ה,נ,ג) would need to be removed.

It appears at first glance that there are only four letters on the first line, making the reading YNTN difficult. However, it may be that the form to the left of the yud is in fact two letters: nun and tav. This would leave enough room for all of ינתן. The leftmost letter would thus be a he which is what it appears like to me.

Given this reading, we would need to interpret the :Judean_kaf_1: on the second line to be a nun (from כהן), which is acceptable. It also leaves enough room for the rest of גדל.

Last, it is typical of Jannaeus coins of this style to display a sideways het, as is present on this coin. This phenomenon is not exhibited on Hyrcanus coins, as far as I can tell.

Offline Daniel P

• Legionary
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 10:30:21 pm »
Much appreciated, thank you again.

Where would I find additional information to ID this coins even further?

Thanks!

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 10:39:23 pm »
The main reference books on this are Meshorer's "Treasury of Jewish Coins" and Hendin's "Guide to Biblical Coins" (the 5th edition is most recent). Many resources can also be found on the internet.

For more on the attribution of YNTN types in particular see Hendin and Shachar's article "The Identity of YNTN on Hasmonean Overstruck Coins and the Chronology of the Alexander Jannaeus Types" (https://www.academia.edu/361456/The_Identity_of_YNTN_on_Hasmonean_Overstruck_Coins_and_the_Chronology_of_the_Alexander_Jannaeus_Types).

Offline Daniel P

• Legionary
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 11:03:26 pm »
Thank you again!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 04:22:30 am »
Thanks, Aarmale, for your thoroughly explanation.

Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity