Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Beautiful AE2 Theodosius I the Great  (Read 784 times)

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
Beautiful AE2 Theodosius I the Great
« on: December 03, 2016, 06:18:41 pm »
Just wanted to share this Nice Theodosius, 22mm 3.5g The only thing I havent been able to figure is the mint. Its hard for me to tell if its actually 3 or 4 letters and the possibility for mints that made this coin are several depending on that number all starting with S. Seller believed SMN Nicomedia but thats the only thing I'm unsure about. Either way I wanted to share it as its easily one of my best overall in my collection. Good day to all.
Basileus Stephen

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Beautiful AE2 Theodosius I the Great
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 02:04:49 pm »
It looks to me like SMN - for Nicomedia. RIC IX: 40. I am unsure of the officina.

Alex

Offline Stephen C.

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 03:26:00 pm »
Thanks Alex, wasnt really sure about that but I mainly wanted to share the coin. I just wish photos were a little better its very nice coin in my hand.
Basileus Stephen

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 06:31:42 pm »
I agree with Alex.  I think that the T in left field plus the SMxx mint mark, with no symbol before it, can only be Nicomedia.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity