Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantius Gallus - Fallen Horseman - Siscia - Oddity  (Read 1122 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Constantius Gallus - Fallen Horseman - Siscia - Oddity
« on: December 03, 2016, 03:23:20 pm »
I have recently obtained this AE3 of Constantius Gallus from Siscia which seems to be a bit of an oddity.

It is an AE3.

Obv:– DN CONSTANTIVS IVN NOB C, Bare, bust draped and cuirassed right; A behind bust
Rev:– FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Soldier spearing fallen horseman, who is wearing a Phrygian cap, reaching backwards
Minted in Siscia (// BSIS),
Reference:– It would appear to be unlisted unless I am missing something.

It measures 19.20 mm and weighs 2.44 gms

The early issues from Siscia with the A behind the bust measure in at 21-22. These issues seem to have attributes (e.g. III) in the left field on the reverse or additional attributes in the exe. (e.g. starts, crescents and dots). The horseman always seems to be bare headed for these issues.

The later issues where the a behind the bust is lost drop in size to 18-19 mm. These drop these attributes with just ASIS in exe or ASIS Retrograde Z in exe (A here being the various workshops). The horseman always seems to wear a Phrygian cap for these issues.

My coin below doesn't seem to fit into either of these mixing the bust from the earlier issues and a reverse from the later issues whilst being cloaser to the the size of the later issues.

What am I missing?

Regards,
Martin

(Click on image to enlarge)

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Constantius Gallus - Fallen Horseman - Siscia - Oddity
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 05:44:03 pm »
Good catch!
A spectacular coin.
PeteB

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »
It is close to RIC VIII Siscia 351 but has the A behind the bust.

Here are my two 351s for comparison.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 07:53:27 pm »
More spectacular coins!
A pleasure to look at and marvel.
Thanks.
PeteB

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 06:30:14 am »
Just viewed this coin on a different monitor and it seems really dark so have uploaded a lightened version of the image.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 07:31:09 pm »
Interesting coin Martin.

It is from what I call the 5th series, struck from November 353 to 356.  Coins of the fifth series have an official weight of 2.70 grams, but average 2.48 grams.  They usually have a pearl ring diameter of 17 to 17.5 mm, so yours is a bit large.

As you note these should not have anything on the obverse.  The last issue of the fourth series at Siscia had :Greek_Delta: in the obverse and L / ASIS in the reverse.  Maybe given the large diameter of yours it was made early in the fourth series and the engraver got confused.

An error in any case.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity